Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

DM 4.6 Sync problem due to no internet connection

Hi Guys,

I have been searching all the forums with no help at this point. I have just upgraded from 4.5 to 4.6 (without media) and now I can't sync

I have reinstalled twice now and also made sure the AVG is disabled and also my firewall. The problem is I keep getting the

"The computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially configure synchronization settings. Please ensure that you are able to connect to the Internet and try again."

This is bloody frustrating. I have one forum mention to open port 4101 (Did this and then disabled firewall)

But Im sure this is mainly for BES where I am using BIS.

Please help, this is driving me bloody bonkers

I'm synchronizing via USB and running XP. I have also tried another USB port and also installed/ installed COM 5
Thanks in advance
Paul
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: DM 4.6 Sync problem due to no internet connection

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums!

First when you upgraded DM's did you do a clean after the removal:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02206&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Try this remove the current DM and run the un-install procedure,

Reinstall. See if you can sync, If not try the following:

Modify the BlackBerry Desktop Manager installation

To modify the BlackBerry Desktop Manager installation to use the correct email redirection method, perform the following:

1. On the computer, click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
  2. Select the BlackBerry® Desktop Software, and then click Change/Remove. An installation wizard will open.
  3. Click Next.
  4. Select the Modify radio button.
  5. Click Next.
  6. Highlight BlackBerry Desktop Manager, and then click Next.
  7. Click the check box next to the redirection method appropriate for the BlackBerry device (either BlackBerry Enterprise Server or BlackBerry Desktop Redirector or BlackBerry Internet Service), and then click Next.
  8. Click Next.
  9. Select Install.
  10. If prompted to find the BlackBerry Desktop Software on the network, navigate to the BlackBerry Desktop Software on the computer or shared drive, and then click OK.
  11. If prompted to enter the BlackBerry Desktop Manager CD, insert the CD, and then click OK.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue,

Thanks

Message Edited by Bifocals on 10-01-2008 06:58 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Bifocals,

Well I have now done in total three compete installs as instructed. I had also done this method before you suggested, but gave it another go today. Still no luck. I also did the second method you mentioned still with the same "no connection" error.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......... I'm really getting pi##ed.

I don't know what to do, so I have downloaded 4.3 and was thinking maybe just try that and be gone with 4.6 alltogether.

Allso another frustrating problem I forget to mention is the "reconcile messages" box is grayed out so I'm thinking I could go to all this trouble and still not be able to configure this properly. Again searched forums for fixing the grayed out box but with no luck, seems there are also other blackberry users that are unable to use 4.5 or 4.6. Seems odd as isnt upgrading supposed too be better for the user?

hahahah make me laugh and cry at the same time.

If you have any other suggestions please let me know as I do really appriatiate the help mate. Just not being able to sync my calender for work is becoming a real drag.

thanks 

Paul

Message Edited by Finman on 10-02-2008 04:29 AM
Guru I

Hi,

First please edit your post and remove the P** part. They are tight on that here.

Be right back

Thanks

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Guru I

Hi,

Start the Desktop software, on the bottom right hand of the panel it says check for updates. Clck on it, and see it if brings up a web page

read the green envelope on the upper right hand of the screen where it says messages.

Thanks

Guru I

[ Edited ]

Ok, now that it has made contact with the Internet, lets see if we can proceed. See if you can setup the sync options with out it asking for the internet.

Let me know!

Message Edited by Bifocals on 10-02-2008 04:43 AM

Guru I

Are you there??

New Contributor

yeahim here,

well as soon as I start it it trys to connect, but no options and the other box is still greyed out

Guru I

Ok, tries to connect to what? the internet or your device?

The reconcile boxes will be greyed out, becaus you are BIS not BES

Thanks,

New Contributor

trys to connect to the internet....

If I let it just the error message comes up and if I cancel it I still have the smae result. When I try and sync the BB it then trys to connect to the internet.