Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

DM Switch Device Wizard prompts in another language?. German maybe?.

I recently switched from a Palm Treo 700p to a red Blackberry Curve 8330.  I installed the Desktop Manager using the User Tools CD and updated it to the most current version (4.7) without running into any problems.  However, when I try to use the Switch Device Wizard to transfer my contacts and calendar to the Curve, the wizard dialog box appears in a language other than English with all options and buttons grayed out except Cancel.  I've searched everywhere online, but I have not been able to find a similar occurrence or fix.  Can anyone please help me with this issue?

BTW, here are some additional information about my devices and computer.

Palm Desktop Manager v 6.2.2

Palm HotSync v 7.0.2

Palm OS Garnet v 5.4.9

LAPTOP

Windows XP Pro SP3

Outlook not installed

Both the Treo and Curve are on the Sprint network.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: DM Switch Device Wizard prompts in another language?. German maybe?.

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I found this in the release notes for 4.7 see attached.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Install the BlackBerry Desktop Software

1. Insert the BlackBerry User Tools CD into the CD drive of your computer.

• If your computer is not set to run CDs automatically, a dialog box appears. Double-click start.exe.• If the Choose Setup Language dialog box appears, click a language. Click

Begin.

2. On the main menu, click BlackBerry Desktop Software.3. Click

Install BlackBerry Desktop Software.

4. Complete the on-screen instructions.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=http--nablackberrycom-e...

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Thank you Bifocals for your assistance.  The language was set to English during the initial install, and the Desktop's Main Menu and Switch Device Wizard Menu are both in English.  The language only changes when one of the options is selected and only the wizard dialog box is affected.

It's probably the most bizarre phenomenon I've ever encountered in the 15 years I've worked in IT roles.

With that said.. I've had the Curve for a full day and even though I love it, I don't think it is the right device for me since it is for personal use.  I want a smartphone or smartphone wannabe that is a hybrid of the Treo 700p's versatility and the Curve 8330's style and technical features.  Translation...I miss the stylus-based games on my Treo.  Any suggestion as to a device that might fit the bill without having to trade in my laptop?

Guru I

10schick wrote:

Thank you Bifocals for your assistance.  The language was set to English during the initial install, and the Desktop's Main Menu and Switch Device Wizard Menu are both in English.  The language only changes when one of the options is selected and only the wizard dialog box is affected.

It's probably the most bizarre phenomenon I've ever encountered in the 15 years I've worked in IT roles.

I'm with you, that is very bizarre, I'm going to dig into that! 

With that said.. I've had the Curve for a full day and even though I love it, I don't think it is the right device for me since it is for personal use.  I want a smartphone or smartphone wannabe that is a hybrid of the Treo 700p's versatility and the Curve 8330's style and technical features.  Translation...I miss the stylus-based games on my Treo.  Any suggestion as to a device that might fit the bill without having to trade in my laptop?

Define versatility as in "the Curve doesn't have the versatility to..." and I can better answer that.

Hey, I don't miss the old games! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks,

Bifocals

StormSketcher app 

By Ronen Halevy Dmglakewood

On AppWorld

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

What I meant by versatility is...hummm...human interface options such as a touch screen with or without the aid of a stylus (to play time-based games), visual voicemail, and voice recognition software to not only launch apps but to write text & e-mail messages.  I know I'm being awfully demanding (princess comes to mind), but I want/need as many convenience features as possible to stay connected and a little entertainment here and there as my muscle and mobility issues continue to increase and worsen.

I never tire of Pong.  lol  Smiley Very Happy

Guru I

Hi,

Visual Voicemail?

Vendors are coming out with it, Youmail has a an app for it.

Take a look on the web, I don't use it so I can't recommend.

Voice Recognition:  Vlingo!  Personal recommendation on this one! I ran it on my Curve and Storm!

The basic program is free, &17.99 for the plus version one time fee.

http://www.vlingo.com/vlingo/blackberry.jsp

Can't do much for the touch screen!

Thanks,

Bifocals

New Contributor

Bifocals,

Thanks for your quick responses and very helpful input.  I'll check out the apps you mentioned.  If they pan out and the weird DM switch device wizard issue can be resolved, you will have saved me the hassle of replacing the Curve with another device.  I guess I can trade in the Treo games for ones playable on the Curve.  Smiley Wink

Thanks again. 

"He who moves not forward, goes backward."  Johann Wolfgang von Goete

Guru I

Hi,

My apologies, I didn't realize the switch device wizard did not compete.

Here are the versions of Palm OS supported by the Device Wizard:

• BlackBerry® Desktop Software 4.2 and later
  • BlackBerry smartphone
  • Palm® Treo™ smartphone using Palm Desktop Software 4.0.1, 4.1, 4.1.2, 4.1.4, 4.1.4E or 6.01

You can down grade and run the sync, or entertain a suggestion.

The Blackberry desktop software is not compatible with the Palm desktop software for day to day use.

The Switch Wizard is a one time conversion tool.

So here comes the Outlook "commercial". Installing it will provide an easy path around the Switch Wizard

You hotsync your Palm data to Outlook then run the DM software to sync the Curve.

Day to day synchronization with the Curve and Outlook once correctly setup is a smooth procedure.

Outlook 2003 is still supported by both Blackberry and Windows, and the least expensive full version available.

Your laptop XP OS probably came with Outlook Express. It will work, but in my opinion you would want a full

function version of Outlook.

Let me know what you think and how you want to proceed.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Guru I

Hi,

I don't know why I didn't suggest this to you the other evening, but this as a must have app.

Especially for someone who's proclivities run to the "Easy Button".

One touch for appl,email, phone etc.

Let me know the score on the Palm!

Thanks,

Bifocals

http://www.nikkisoft.com/

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Classic 10.3.2.798 OS + Playbook 64Gb

Evening.  Smiley Happy  Bifocals asked me to see if I can give a hand.  Read through your post and just as I was about the reply I came across this:

Bifocals says:

Here are the versions of Palm OS supported by the Device Wizard:

• BlackBerry® Desktop Software 4.2 and later
  • BlackBerry smartphone
  • Palm® Treo™ smartphone using Palm Desktop Software 4.0.1, 4.1, 4.1.2, 4.1.4, 4.1.4E or 6.01

You can down grade and run the sync, or entertain a suggestion.

The Blackberry desktop software is not compatible with the Palm desktop software for day to day use.

The Switch Wizard is a one time conversion tool.

So here comes the Outlook "commercial". Installing it will provide an easy path around the Switch Wizard

You hotsync your Palm data to Outlook then run the DM software to sync the Curve.

Day to day synchronization with the Curve and Outlook once correctly setup is a smooth procedure.

Outlook 2003 is still supported by both Blackberry and Windows, and the least expensive full version available.

Your laptop XP OS probably came with Outlook Express. It will work, but in my opinion you would want a full

function version of Outlook.

Bifocals took the words right out of my mouth.  I'm betting your "German" resulted form your Palm version not being supported by the Switch Device Wizard. I, too, am on Sprint and migrated from a Treo 650, Palm Desktop 4.1.4.  I am not familiar with the differences between your version of the Palm desktop and the 4.1.4 version I used, but I don't think it would make any difference since they both worked with the Palm OS.

I have had success moving everything over to Outlook 2003 from the Palm and then syncing to the BB. I assume you know how to change the Palm conduits to sync your organizer data over to Outlook (I realize you don't have Outlook installed).  Once you have that completed (make sure your field mapping is intact) it is easy to then sync your Outlook data over to the BB.

I hope this helps and that you decide to stay with your BB.  It took me a while to get used to the differences, but I got tired of waiting for Palm to decide to get with it and update their OS.

IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.