Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

DM error on sync with laptop

I posted this on the storm forum but realise it probably should have gone on this forum, as you'll see below I have tried everything to get my laptop to sync with the storm but it crashes everytime during the initial sync. Tried v5 with no success again last night. 

Any suggestions.... currently paying for a phone (for the last three months) that is unusable!!

I have recently got my Storm back from repair only to discover that all my contacts have been erased. I had a problem prior to the repair trying to sync using the desktop manager as it crashed everytime while trying to sync. I have tried several times uninstalling and reinstalling/repairing the current DM software, also tried deleting the RIM folders etc. but DM crashes everytime I try to sync. Any ideas? running windows XP with the latest drivers/software.

and again....

Sorry to repost this but this is driving me mad, I have tried everything to try to get my Storm to sync with my laptop and Outlook. Tried reloading, repairing, uninstalling, reinstalling, with Norton, without Norton, deleted registry files, re-deleted registry files and anything at all that mentions Blackberry or RIM etc etc been at it now for more than a week!!

This phone is completely usless to me as I can't sync to get my contacts back. I suspect that I may have a virus on my laptop but everything else is working fine, have done registry check and full system scan several times to see if there was any problems but nothing has ever came up. The desktop manager used to work and synced no problem....... I would rather chuck this phone away than have to re enter manually my contacts. I have called my provider and they can't help, I really don't want to have to completely re install my laptop OS just on the off chance that this might be the only thing that might get the DM to work again!!!

Seriously considering an iphone, and more stable Mac platform!!

:-(

Scocha

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry 9700

Re: DM error on sync with laptop

Hello scocha,

I see from your post that you are trying to sync your Storm and your Outlook but it fails during the initial synchronization.  Is it possible for you to lay out some of the details of your environment? If you can, I'd like to know the following:

1)  Your version of Outlook (help > about Microsoft Office Outlook)

2)  Your version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager (help > about BlackBerry Desktop Manager)

3)  The version of software on your device (options > about > v4.7.x.xxx)

4)  The exact successes you have when opening BlackBerry Desktop Manager.  What I mean by this is, are you able to open Desktop Manager without it crashing?  If it starts successfully and only fails during the synchronization, what exactly is displayed before the failure? Usually you will get messages like "Reading from Outlook Calendar", "Processing Device Calendar" and these messages can be critical to finding a solution.

hope to hear from you soon  Smiley Happy 

-tg

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

1)  Your version of Outlook (help > about Microsoft Office Outlook)

Outlook 2007 (12.0.6504.5000) SP2 (12.0.6435.100)

And System Info - 

OS Name    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version    5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    ACER-4413169386
System Manufacturer    Acer
System Model    Aspire 2020
System Type    X86-based PC
Processor    x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~1598 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date    ACER V1.30, 27/04/2004
SMBIOS Version    2.3
Windows Directory    C:\WINDOWS
System Directory    C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name    ACER-4413169386\Iain
Time Zone    GMT Standard Time
Total Physical Memory    1,280.00 MB
Available Physical Memory    456.34 MB
Total Virtual Memory    2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory    1.96 GB
Page File Space    1.86 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

2)  Your version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager (help > about BlackBerry Desktop Manager)

3)  The version of software on your device (options > about > v4.7.x.xxx)

4)  The exact successes you have when opening BlackBerry Desktop Manager.  What I mean by this is, are you able to open Desktop Manager without it crashing?

Yes, Opens no problem until I connect the Storm

If it starts successfully and only fails during the synchronization, what exactly is displayed before the failure? Usually you will get messages like "Reading from Outlook Calendar", "Processing Device Calendar" and these messages can be critical to finding a solution.

Once I plug in the Storm, it says connected and shows up the pin number etc, then it automaticaly comes up with a box saying 'Task in progress' and 'Checking for device application updates, please wait...' after several seconds, this box dissapears and a new one appears stating that 'BlackBerry Desktop Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.' this box then gives me the opportuniy to tell Microsfort about this problem with the 'Send Error Report - Don't Send' boxes.'

Here is what it says about the error signature - AppName: desktopmgr.exe     AppVer: 5.0.0.11     ModName: mshtml.dll
ModVer: 8.0.6001.18812     Offset: 00209d2c

Really appreciate at last a response about this, meanwhile my Storm sits and gathers dust!!

Thanks, in anticipation

Iain

Retired

Hello scocha,

Thank you for answering my questions in such detail  Smiley Happy

What I'd like you to try is to open BlackBerry Desktop Manager and go to Synchronize, then  Sychronization on the left and then plug your device in.  You should hopefully see that the button for Synchronization on the right is greyed out until you connect your device.  Also, this shouldn't bring up the window for checking for updates although it might.  If we haven't failed yet, I'd like to click on Sychronization and uncheck all of the items in the list.  Press ok until you are back at the main screen of the Desktop Manager and then close the program entirely.

As long as everything is going well we should be able to start BlackBerry Desktop Manager the way you were initially by turning it on and then connecting your device.  

If this works then we can narrow down which of the synchronization items are causing the trouble. 

If this doesn't work then we will maybe need to look at your permissions on the computer or possibly create a new Windows user profile for testing. 

-tg

New Contributor

Ok thanks

I have actually tried this before from another help tip on this site, but tried it again just to make sure....

I got as far as the second Syncro button and the 'Intellisync' - 'select device application' box, all the buttons were already unchecked but this is the point that my old friend the 'BlackBerry Desktop Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.' box reappears before I get a chance to click the ok button.

For your reference I am logged in as Administrator, and I have also tried to use another log in user, with the same result.

I have managed to gt the desktop manager working and not crshing when linked to the Storm on a desktop PC, but obviously none of my Outlook stuff is on this computer!

Retired

Hello,

Again, thanks for the detailed response Smiley Happy

If I understand correctly, you got the error this time when you were on the screen with four checkboxes for calendar, memopad, tasks and address book.  Am I correct?

I see also that in your previous post it says "I suspect that I may have a virus on my laptop" - what makes you think this and what virus software are you using on your computer? 

I hate to say it, but if you were able to do this on another computer (Desktop PC) and it worked alright, then we are not likely looking at a BlackBerry Desktop Manager issue or a BlackBerry issue but an issue with this specific laptop.  The good news is that your Outlook information is easy to backup and restore on this computer or another if need be.

-tg

New Contributor

If I understand correctly, you got the error this time when you were on the screen with four checkboxes for calendar, memopad, tasks and address book.  Am I correct?

Yes that's correct, almost as soon as it appears, I get the error

I see also that in your previous post it says "I suspect that I may have a virus on my laptop" - what makes you think this and what virus software are you using on your computer?

Because I have tried every response available to try to fix this, every post and tip, spoken at length to tech support with my contractor etc... But the really frustrating thing is there is no sign of a virus anywhere else, everything else I have on the laptop works perfect!! The only thing that doesn't work is Desktop Manager with the Storm... Grrrrr, I have Norton running and have done several full system scans as well software running registry scan, with no viruses showing what so ever!

I hate to say it, but if you were able to do this on another computer (Desktop PC) and it worked alright, then we are not likely looking at a BlackBerry Desktop Manager issue or a BlackBerry issue but an issue with this specific laptop.  The good news is that your Outlook information is easy to backup and restore on this computer or another if need be.

Yes I was afraid this would be the next answer!! Not relishing that idea, is there a quick way of doing this? Am soooo sick of this not working (been 6 weeks now) that I am considering purchasing a new laptop, rathe than re installing stuff on an old one! just so as I can get y Blackberry back!!

Thanks for the help, blab blob!

Highlighted
Retired

scocha,

As for reloading the software on the laptop, I'm not too sure as every laptop is a little different.  Also, I can't suggest that you do that but only that it appears that the issue isn't device or Desktop Manager related but more an issue with the laptop.  Have you considered calling the vendor of your laptop for some guidance or tips on this?  Have you considered putting your Outlook info on another computer in the interim so you can at least have your synchronization back?

-tg