Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9220
My Carrier: airtel India

Data does not work when voice is in use for 9220 (2G)

I recently realised that i lose data when on a call on by BB9220 (2G)

Which means i cannot send receive bbm or emqails while on a voice call.

I checked with the service provider / carrier and they confirmed that this is a limitation in the 2G 9220 handset.

This sounds a bit ridiculus since my old 8520 did not have this issue

I  need to send bbm while on calls especially work related conference calls.

I dont know how to get around this. RIM should have put this in the phone specifications somewhere.

There is no mention of this even on the internet.

This is a definite let down from RIM

Can someone help? I also want to put in a formal complaint with RIM on this issue

Highlighted
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Data does not work when voice is in use for 9220 (2G)

Hi there,

This isn't just a limitation of the device, but of the network. I'm not sure how you had this working on your old 8520, but in general, 2G connections (GPRS or EDGE) can only support voice or data (the priority depends on carrier settings, but most carriers give priority to voice calls and stop transmitting data). To do simultaneous voice and data, you need a 3G connection, or you need to be connected to WiFi.

Is there any chance that you used to keep your 8520 connected to WiFi networks before? If so, that is likely the difference.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!