Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: Not Specified

De-Activiting Enterprise - related questions

I had a personal 8830 World Edition, which I used for work and so I activated enterprise to use the workplace exchange server, including wireless synching, email, contacts, calendar, etc. (I also used 2 popemail accounts, which worked fine simultaneously alongside the emails from the exchange server).

Recently I left the company and am having a hard time setting up a desktop manager synch, I get an error during any attempt to synch or backup data from the blackberry etc.  Sometimes it doesn't say what type of error, sometimes it says there are wireless synching priorities (so I assume that they take priority and block my attempts to set up as a desktop account now).  I assume it has something to do with the fact that the blackberry is still activated for enterprise, but I can't find anywhere in the menus on the device itself to de-activate, and since nothing from the desktop manager works, I can't seem to deactivate through that either.

Also, I'm worried that once I de-activate from the exchange server at my old workplace, it will automatically wipe out my contacts and calendar from the handheld and I will lose all that.  But since I can't back up through the desktop manager I don't see any way to save it all first.

A. how can I de-activate the enterprise activation (without going back to my old employer's IT dept)?

B. does the enterprise activation sound like the issue that is preventing me from setting up desktop manager?

Thanks very much,

Ken

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Re: De-Activiting Enterprise - related questions

I would remove the IT policy

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Remove_IT_Policy

Back up the device with  desktop manager, remove the IT policy, apply the backup and then see where you are at. If you are still on the Blackberry enterprise server, call them and ask them to send you a termination policy but to NOT WIPE YOUR HANDHELD.  Most companies have a blank it policy they can send you which does the same thing as the link above.

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
My Device: Not Specified

I can't find reference to a "terminiation policy" anywhere in the BES admin documentation.  Can you explain exactly how you do this from the BES?
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8300

Hello,

When you activate a BB handset against a BES, the IT Policy on that BES is downloaded to the Handset.

It remains in force forever.......

You need to get the BES Administrator to force down a Blank IT Policy (one without the settings that they changed/restricted)  down to the Handset. This is easy if the user is still on the bes. Otherwsie the user will have to be added back to the BES and the user has to reactivate the Handset.

But No IT Policy will stop a user from using the Desktop Manager program.

When you plug in the Handset to the PC with the Desktop manager running, are you asked to do a Backup? If yes then select yes and save the backup file somewhere you can remember.

The Desktop Manager should have been installed as BES (if you are using this in the corporate environment where the BES is installed(ie your workplace), otherwise if your installing it at home, then select Personal/BIS.

There May be a mesage shown advising that some things are Wirelessly synch'ed and may be be updated. This is normal, especially with BES handsets. Dont worry about it.

When you've done a backup

The emails and contacts you've got on the device should be able to be Sync'ed to your Local Outlook Mail profile on that PC.

NOTE: You cant use Outlook Express to sync to - they are different programs to MS Outlook.(Just checking!).

Let us know of any specific errors that you are getting...

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq