Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Dead BOLD 9780 after device update

HELP!!!     I'm not exactly phone savvy so I hope someone can help me....In January 2011 I purchased a new Bold 9780 and I just loved it.  Yesterday on my phone I received an opportunity for a device update.  After it indicated that it would take over 2 hours to install and during which time I would not be able to use the phone I tried to prompt it for a remote start at 2:00AM (then I would have time to do a back-up)…pressed save after making the time prompt and it still started the update immediately.  I shrugged it off and let it do it’s thing.  Almost 3 hours later, it still wasn’t up.   I was still getting a white screen with the small black box with second hand spinning in the centre of the screen then it would give me a download bar that would only load to 50% then the screen/phone would shut off, red indicator light would come on, then a white screen again….repeat!  Contacted my service provider and was told that it sounds like it just needs more time to do it’s thing.  I plugged it into the wall so that it wouldn’t run out of juice and went to bed.  Woke up at 4:00AM, checked the phone and there was no power, black screen and no indicator light on.  I WAS UNABLE TO POWER UP THE PHONE.  Still plugged in, I pulled the battery.  I then got a red indicator light but nothing else.  Put the battery back in and the indicator light went out and, once again, the phone was dead.  Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!   This morning I contacted my service provider again and they told me that we could do a “backdoor restart” which may wipe out all the memory and restore the phone to factory setting which I DON’T want to do but I will try later if no one can help me. 

Thank you so much!! 

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Dead BOLD 9780 after device update

[ Edited ]

Sounds like the update didn't download correctly or got corrupted during the download or something. I can't think of anything for you to do except reinstall the system software on the device, which will erase everything (I assume thats what the serivce rep was referring to).

Here is the tutorial to do the system reload yourself (or you can call your service provider again and they will walk you through it).

EDIT: JSander's guide is better suited for a white screen. You could probably make the above one work with some tweaking.

Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Summer, Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Community Support Forums.
Another alternative If your BlackBerry stays powered off with a black screen, follow the instructions below. The only indication of life might be the blinking red LED light in the top corner. Nothing seems to wake it up and Desktop Manager doesn't recognize any device is connected.

1) Make sure you have Blackberry Desktop Manager installed.
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/
2) On your PC, go to Start > Run and copy and paste the following line exactly (meaning with the quotation marks):

"c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\loader.exe" /nojvm

3) The Application Loader Wizard will appear -- click "Next."
4) In the "Connection:" drop-down menu, you should see "USB-PIN: UNKNOWN". Click the "Next" button.
5) You should then see a list of applications ready to be installed for your Blackberry. Hit Next and Finish and you are well on your way to getting your Blackberry back to life. Just don't disconnect anything and let the lengthy process finish completely.

NOTE: If you do not see a list of applications mentioned in step 5 and instead see the message "The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator," then you must download Blackberry's Operating System for your carrier and device.
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/BlackBerry_Operating_System_Downloads
Just select the appropriate carrier and network type, select your Blackberry model from the list and download the latest version. Install this download and follow the above steps again and you should be on the right path.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Rogers

Thank you Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm back in action!

New Contributor
My Device: Black Berry Bold 9780
My Carrier: vodafone

Hi,
PLEASE HELP ME OUT...

I have the same problem(when i try to connect my BB Bold 9780- (when try to connect simply holds off the RED LED light for a couple seconds and displays a "crossed X" mark upon the battery symbol).And i have done everything as you mentioned in the above tag but nothing worked out.

1st i tried doing the 5 steps as u said, did't work.
2nd i tried doing the next step as u said and was successful halfway, I EVEN GOT THE LIST OF ITEMS THAT WERE READY TO GET INSTALLED and list was getting installed one by one there i got a msg" APPLICATION LOADER WAS UNABLE TO CONNECT WITH YOUR DEVICE.PLEASE RECONNECT YOUR DEVICE,ENTER THE PASSWORD IF REQUIRED AND CLICK RETRY."

So i request you to please help me out....
sudhakar