Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Dead Pearl 8100 - blinking/flash red LED. Bricked?

I rarely connect my 8100 to my computer, but yesterday I did so as I needed to tether my laptop and use its modem to dialup. Shortly after starting up my Desktop Manager, I was prompted to process an update, as I hadn't done so in over a year. After a few minutes and a few steps into the update, I received a message saying that the update could not complete yadda yadda, and that an .ipd file (I think) had been created somewhere in case I wanted to re-attempt the update at a later time. At this point I looked over at my phone and noticed that it appeared to be 'off', with only the red LED blinking at a regular interval. I tried to turn on the phone, and when that failed, performed a battery pull, but there was no difference. I researched my problem on the net, and it seemed as if others who had the same issue resolved it by performing one of the following --

http://blackberryfaq.net/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F

http://blackberryfaq.net/index.php/What_to_do_next_if_Jl_Cmder_will_not_connect_and_wipe

However, I am unable to do either, as my computer does not recognize my phone at any time when it is plugged in via USB (with or without its battery).

This Pearl is about 1 and 3/4 years old, and I got it brand new (USA T-mobile) at the time. It has never gotten wet, and as you can tell from my description, it seems as if something happened during the attempted update that it didn't like and caused it to 'brick'.

What can I try next? Smiley Mad

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: Dead Pearl 8100 - blinking/flash red LED. Bricked?

Contact the nearest Blackberry Service Center to clear the memory of your device.

Seems that the device is ok - there is a severe software failure inside.

New Contributor

Thanks. Since I received my phone directly from T-Mobile USA, I assume I should contact them for this? Also, in your experience, would what you are suggesting involve me having to ship my phone to a service center, or just walking into a store and having someone 'clear' the memory while I wait?

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Unfortunately there is no button on device to clear the memory in such cases.

I don't know is there necessary equipment in a shop to do a such reset.

Service Center must have such equipment.

Because it is a software failure and can be resolved via memory cleaning. There is nothing wrong with your device hardware.

New Contributor

Ok, I have emailed T-Mobile USA and am now waiting for a reply. I will keep this thread updated with any progress (or lack thereof) I experience.

same problem, is there any Blackberry Service Centers in kansas?
New Contributor

Hi, here's what which worked to fix my problem --

1) uninstalled DM4.7 (this also fixed the annoying virtual serial port issue)

2) deleted/uninstalled the BB4.2 and BB4.5 versions I had previously installed onto my computer (I wanted a fresh start) 3) downloaded and installed DM4.5, per advice from someone on another forum

4) installed BB4.5

5) removed the vendor.xml file

6) with my phone disconnected, put in the battery for a split second until the solid red LED showed, then connected the mini-usb cable to my phone and at the same time took the battery back out (this seemed to be the only way to make my PC 'detect' my phone)

7) ran Application Loader, which detected my BB4.5, and updated my phone's OS/software/apps

8) near the end (and I think this was the key step I was missing earlier), when the app loader says something like "connecting to phone" or something like that, I put the battery -back- into the phone

9) this seemed to initiate the installation of the phone's core modules, a 10 minute process or so

10) after that I got the rotating hourglass thing on my phone's screen, and after waiting about 20 minutes or so, VOILA!!

New Contributor

Hi, BB Support Comunity.

I got the same problem with the red light flashing in a sort of a pattern (3 times flash, half of a second off, 2 times flashes again, 1 second pause [something like 11101100] ). Well, it seems that everybody solves this kind of problem by using JL_CMDER, or apploader to load the OS, even fix it by using the DM application... Well, this doesn't seems to work for me. My problem is that the computer is not detecting the phone, it is not showed on the device manager module, there's not a ballon or a system tray notification (sound or visible notification) when you plug the phone in the computer, already try all the ports, I dun have a hub, even try 3 different computers and 3 cables (1 rim cable, 1 nokia cable, 1 motorola cable). I unistalled the DM of my computer, unistalled everything with phones in my computer (sony ericsson's apps, Nokia apps, samsung apps, motorola apps, BB apps)... unistalled drivers and clean my registry... I know is not my computer. There's no problems with my main power supply ( people think that there's not enough power on the bus to connect with the phone ). Again the computer is clean, and there's no problem at all with its functions. I have now installed DM 5.0... The JL_CMDER does not detect the phone so I can't wipe it. The Apploader does not detect the phone, in fact,  theres a small menu where u can choose the connection port, it says usb and when i try to connect it says connecting over intel, arm and other type of connection, tries and then fails. My Device Manager can't detect it so I can't use the DM. I tried connecting the phone without the battery, with the battery, with a fully charged backup battery and nothing.

Device: 8100 Pearl

Software: DM 5.0 Installed, Drivers 5.0 Installed, OS for 8100 series installed.

Tried with: JL_CMDER, MML, Apploader, DM and it didn't worked.

PC SO: Windows XP

Error founded while someone was trying to update the device.

People says "put in the battery for a split second until the solid red LED shows". I must say there's not a "solid red LED", is a flashin pattern.

What I need (and people in this forum needs) is a table that shows the meaning of the flashing patterns...

I hope someone could help me with this information.

Thanks in advance.

New Contributor

Hi again, editing my post...

I tried to gain access to the phone via Command prompt; using the apploader and the JL_CMDER again and still the same thing. I won't be able to do anything if my pc is not detecting the phone... 

Thanks again BBSC 

New Contributor

Sorry to hear of your problems. I've since moved on to a 8900 which I love, and my aforementioned 8100 is now a trusty backup. I'm not 100% sure how to solve your problem, but what you described reminded me of another issue I had with my 8100.

Earlier on in its life my PCs would have no problem detecting it; however, there came a time when its connection when hooked up via USB to a PC became very temperamental. A slight 'knock' of the USB cable would disconnect it. To the point where it was almost impossible to get it connected, and I would have to spend minutes positioning the phone and/or the cable in such a way so that the PC detected it. After trying another USB cable and experiencing the same result, I soon realized that the problem was not with the cable, not with the PC, but with the phone's miniUSB port itself. Long story short, the mini-USB cable had to be pushed into the port with sufficient force, and at a particular angle for the PC to detect the phone. I eventually had to resort to some creativity with a thick rubberband to keep the USB cable in place at the angle I wanted, in order to maintain the PC-to-phone connection. Ghetto I know, but that's the only way I could get it to work, short of getting the USB port repaired.

Not sure if that's your problem, but no harm experimenting, I guess? Good luck!