Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Decrypt media files from memory card

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone,

I need to replace my 9900 and I got another one. Now I want to access my media files, but it seems that I can't decrypt them.

I am just using the device password.

Is there any way to get all back?

Developer

Re: Decrypt media files from memory card

[ Edited ]

I have tried a little bit around, copying files failed with "Error decrypting header".

Can anyone translate this error in an understandable error?

Regarding http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?externalId=KB12999 it seems okay to use the device password/security password to encrypt files.

I have made a test, wiping the device (without restoring factory defaults) and using again the same sd card allow me to access my encrypted media files.

A multi device test was to use the same SD card in different devices with OS 7, works.

Another test was to copy the encrypted file, format the sd card and copied file back. Access isn't possible anymore.

Finally it means that there is something on the SD card.

Developer

Re: Decrypt media files from memory card

[ Edited ]

So finally the solution is very simple:

If you want to access your encrypted files on a memory card, be sure that your encryption method is set to security/device password and you must keep the file BlackBerry/system/info.mkf.

After copying that file back to my SD card I could access every media file.

Please note, you have no access on databases from WhatsApp or similar, because they are using another encryption method, see http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/7.1.0api/net/rim/device/api/database/DatabaseSecurityOptio....