Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telus

Delivery receipts

I have a Torch on Telus.  Can someone tell me what each of the following means under Message Options, Email Preferences, Delivery:

Delivery:

Confirm Delivery:  Y/N

Confirm Read:      Y/N

Send Delivery Receipts: Y/N

Send Read Receipts: Y/N/Prompt

Does the mail receipt work only when I send emails to other BlackBerry user or does it work when I send it to Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, work accounts? 

Thanks

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Delivery receipts

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Confirm Delivery -- when you initiate a new email on your BB, you can request a receipt back to you when the email is delivered to the recipients mailbox on their server (not necessarily to the user). Note that the request for this receipt can be overridden by many things...it is merely a request.

Confirm Read -- when you initiate a new email on your BB, you can request a receipt back to you when the email is opened by the user. Note that the request for this receipt can be overridden by many things...it is merely a request.

Send Delivery Receipts -- when you receive an email to your mailbox (not necessarily to your BB yet) and that email contains a request (from the sender) for a delivery receipt, you can request to control if that delivery receipt is sent. This is not always functional -- it depends on if your specific mail service will accept the control request from BIS or not...many do not.

Send Read Receipts -- when you open an email on your BB and it contains a request (from the sender) for a read receipt, you can request to control if that read receipt is sent. As with the above, this is not always 100% (though, I think more than the Sending of Delivery Receipts).

These work (within the limits noted above) on all email systems.

Hope that helps!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

[ Edited ]

Confirm Delivery will send a message that confirms that the email went through to the recipient (this is the same as requesting delivery confirmation when you send an email from Outlook).

Confirm Read will send a message that confirms that the recipient read the email (this is the same as requesting a read receipt when you send an email from Outlook).

Send Delivery Reciepts will send a message to the sender that you have received the email.

Send Read Reciepts will send a message to the sender that you have read their email.

I have all of these set to no.  If I need to get a Delivery and Read receipt, I personally would rather send the email from my computer.  In the past, I've had troubles with these as my recipients would receive extra emails from me after I would send them an email (or after they'd send me an email).  Accordingly, I'd suggest turning these on sparingly and test them first to make sure they work as you'd like.

As to email address impacted by these settings, these settings will work universally, not just to the specific BlackBerry email address.  And note that once you have set the settings, they will apply to all emails until you change the settings once again.

I hope this info helps a bit!

(DANG!!!  Beat by sdgardne again.  That took me too long to reply!)

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

Thanks sdgardne. That was fast.
Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You are most welcome! Enjoy!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................