Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Priv on AT&T
My Carrier: AT&T

Desktop 7.0.0.59 won't connect unless administrator logged on.

This is a new problem that just started.  I have two computers, both W7 64.  Java 7.5 The problem is on one but not the other. My handset is 9810 with AT&T and I currently have 7.1.0.378 on there.  (Getting that one to install was another chore but I did it with the computer with the Desktop that does connect to the BB.

This week MS rolled out a bunch of updates to W7 64 and BB updated my Desktop application to 7.0.0.59.  NOW, on one of my computers, I must log on as an administrator in order for the Desktop to connect to my 9810.  Unfortunately that computer has my Outlook but it is in my user account.  I do use UAC and will continue to do so.

I uninstalled all blackberry application, deleted all folders, ran PC Tools Registrymechanic to clean the registry three times - with reboots in between.  Then I reinstalled everything as a User.  In order to install the ApploaderWebSL - Upgrade I had to log into as an administrator.  Not sure I need this thing. I also have the Device Manager installed (I have a playbook too).

I have tried running the Desktop "as administrator" from the User account and no-go.

The Blackberry driver (in Device Manager) is version 4.2.0.14 on both machines.

I do get two virtual drives with access to BB files when I plug in the BB.

My thinking is that there is some new conflict between this latest version of the BB Desktop and the patches that MS dropped for W7 64 this week.  I have a bunch of applications on these machines too.

Help please.

jgrobertson
Priv on AT&T
Formerly, Playbook, Z10 and Passport
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Desktop 7.0.0.59 won't connect unless administrator logged on.

Hi there,

Try highlighting the Desktop Software icon, right click and select Properties, go to the Compatibilty tab and under the Privilege Level section, uncheck the box marked "Run this program as an administrator".

That should fix the issue for you (I hope). I know another friend who had a similar issue and that was their problem. And just to confirm, mine does not require admin access.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor
My Device: Priv on AT&T
My Carrier: AT&T

Thanks for your quick reply. Since I posted this message, I have discovered the problem. In Properties for the application (icon on desktop) going to Security, "SYSTEM" must be added as a "Group or user name."  I found that on the computer where it worked SYSTEM was present but on the one where it did not work, SYSTEM, was not present.

I wonder why the installer did not set this if required.  Something Blackberry should look into I think.

Turns out, as you point out, it does not need to be run "as administrator."  SYSTEM is an account that has full access to the computer.

jgrobertson
Priv on AT&T
Formerly, Playbook, Z10 and Passport
Highlighted
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

Awesome, glad you figured it out!

Feel free to mark the thread as Solved to help other users find the solution in the future.  Smiley Happy

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!