Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Desktop 7 FIASCO COST BLACKBERRY A LOYAL CUSTOMER!

CANT SAY ENOUGH HOW UPSET I AM AT THE TOTAL WASTED TIME & PRODUCTIVITY THIS FIASCO CAUSED. I WILL NOT BE RETURNING TO BLACKBERRY WHEN I REPLACE THIS SMARTPHONE.

I'D LOVE TO STAY PATRIOTIC RIM, BUT THEY BUNGLED THIS ONE.

HOPE RIM CAN MAKE IT UP TO RESTORE MY SUPPORT

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Desktop 7 FIASCO COST BLACKBERRY A LOYAL CUSTOMER!

Have you tried simply uninstalling Desktop Software 7 and reinstalling Desktop Software 6.1? RIM has pulled the update from their servers and has made Desktop Software 6.1 available for download again from http://blackberry.com/desktop.

I hope that will help you out.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: vodafone

Afraid I can't find any way to uninstall 7, so I can't go back and can't move forward. Total limbo.

Elite I

Just go to Control Panel > Programs & Features and you can uninstall it there. Once uninstalled, just download from the link I provided above.

I hope that helps!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: vodafone

No. Tried that over 2 days. In end only complete uninstall using Windows recommended REVO uninstall worked. Cleared registries. Back to 6 and very very cautious before upgrading again. Worst was the response from Blackberry - and it is clear my issue was not alone. On Twitter help option they confirmed and problem and then total silence. Their customer support was woeful, and surely if they had even routinely tested across OS the issues would have been apparent. Forums great, but the volunteers can't make up for Corporate incompotence in the first instance.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

I just tried that - uninstalled both BlackBerry Desktop Software and BlackBerry Device Manager (both version 7) and tried reinstalling Desktop Software 6.1. Oddly, it now keeps crashing on startup in the same manner as version 7 did and offers to send an error report to Microsoft. Unfortunately, I can't cut-and-paste this report (which is lengthy hex-dump-style data anyway). Has anyone else seen this, and what can I do about it? Would clearing out the appropriate registry entries help?

Thanks,

Evan

Elite I

Don't forget that you guys are welcome to contact your carriers about this as they are your primary point of contact for BlackBerry support.

That said, I have seen registry errors get in the way and cause problems. I personally use Registry Mechanic on my computer and that seems to have done the trick...

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810

Hi, I had similar problem and the error was with Acronis True Image (a backup and disc copy software).  I tried disabling Acronis but still got error.  I uninstalled Acronis and the problem was fixed.  Not sure what caused the error.  I may try reinstalling Acronis and see what happens.  Maybe with Blackberry Desktop on first and Acronis second it will be okay.......

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

Just figured out how to go back to Desktop 6.1 (Was: Re: Desktop 7 FIASCO COST BLACKBERRY A LOYAL CUSTOMER!)

FYI - I used Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs to re-remove Desktop Software v6, then deleted the C:\Program Files\Research In Motion directory and everything below it, then rebooted and reinstalled v6 from scratch.  This time, everything came up cleanly (I had to redo all my settings from scratch, but everything works fine now).  Fortunately, I didn't have to tamper with the Registry to do this.

When RIM comes up with its next (hopefully clean) Desktop Software release, I'll be taking a System Restore Point (I'm on WinXP SP3) before attempting to install it.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions,

Evan

Highlighted
Elite I

Re: Just figured out how to go back to Desktop 6.1 (Was: Re: Desktop 7 FIASCO COST BLACKBERRY A LOYAL CUSTOMER!)

Evan, I'm glad to hear you got yourself back up and running.

Hopefully the suggestions provided in this thread will help others! Smiley Happy