Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Desktop Manager 4.3 Contact Manager Support

I use ACT to manage my contacts (4700 and counting) and have been syncing successfully with Desktop Manager 4.2.

I just loaded Desktop Manager 4.3 and discovered that ACT was not listed as a supported application for syncing contacts.  Does anyone know how to sync ACT contacts to the BlackBerry 8820 after upgrading to Desktop Manager 4.3?  My current plan is to uninstall 4.3 and reinstall 4.2.2 - does anyone know if this creates problems with version compatibility?

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000 BES OS 4.6.0.162

Re: Desktop Manager 4.3 Contact Manager Support

[ Edited ]

You can use ASCII Importer / Exporter

OR

You can also use Intellisync for Yahoo!.  You can download it here: http://download.yahoo.com/dl/mail/intellisync.exe

Here is a way to synchronize contacts without Outlook to a Blackberry:

http://blackberry8130.wordpress.com/2008/01/19/managing-contacts-in-the-address-book-using-excel/

Message Edited by metroberry on 06-20-2008 12:09 PM
Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000 BES OS 4.6.0.162

I think it would be best to do what you suggested though.  Just uninstall 4.3 and re-install 4.2. 
New Contributor

Thank you for the multiple suggestions.  I have used Intellisync for years and was pleasantly when I found it integrated in 4.2 then unpleasantly surprised when it was dropped.  I have successfully rolled back to 4.2.2 for now.  Since I export the contacts I want in the cell phone to a separate ACT database before syncing (merging personal and business numbers) I could add an extra step of exporting to ASCII but don't want the hassle of selecting, ordering and mapping fields.  I have downloaded the Yahoo application as a hedge for the future.

New Contributor

i have a blackberry 8330 and have several problems: please note I am not a "techie"

I have been using a palm, do not have outlook but do have ACT 2005 which I will be using as my contact manager and calender.

i have read these threads and followed all the links. I downloaded companion link which seems to work well except that act does not show up as an option to sync as a pim selection. I found on the forum here that I had to download an earlier version of desktop manager that would recognize act and i quote:

If you download and install Desktop Manager version 4.2 Service Pack 2, you will still see ACT as a selection.

The more recent versions of DM do not support ACT.

The "why" I do not know.

I will try this but the other questions I have are:

1 do i need an act application on my bb or does it intutively put data in my bb calender?

2 Will all my data from act contacts transfer cleanly or do i have to set up categories/groups etc in the blackeberry first so they have defined destinations in the bb? 

3 is th bb contact info going to be as detailed as it is in act or will some data be lost/purged/ renamed etc in the transfer because all catergories/items will not be recognized?

thank you for any guidance, in addition can anyone tell me how to get my palm contacts into act? have not had any luck doing import/export functions, data is not recognized.

again, thanks

New Contributor

help! cannot sync act to bb!

i have act 2005 and have downloaded the companionlink, followed all instructions many times and it still tells me unpsecified error when syncing. i have checked the passwords etc all is in place according to instructions yet i get unspecified error - what gives? do i need to do something on the bb ittself?
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 8100

Re: help! cannot sync act to bb!

For ACT! 2005 (7.0) and later, you might try Handheld Contact - it's much more "ACT! like" in the data it makes available.
Regards,
Mike Lazarus