Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9800 Torch
My Carrier: att

Re: Desktop Manager 6.0 Crashing

yep, this new build fixes everything except the main issue.  Thanks RIM.  I'm gonna make it a point tomorrow when I'm working to talk as many customers out of blackberries as I can.  your customer service continues to suck.. 

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

I tried to use DM6 today but crashed at start all time. When will there be an update for this crappy software?
My Device: Tour 9620
My Carrier: Verizon

DM 6.0 Sync issue Finally Fixed.

Here is what worked after wasting 8-10 hours at work and personal time.

Leave your Blackberry connected

DO NOT uninstall DM 6.0 (after tryinmg 6 or more times io deceided to leave this DM version on my pc figuring it was missing a file of some sort)

Download Blackberry Mutilanguage version 5.0 nonmedia manager (not 5.0.1)

Install the software

Do not install media sync

Select your sync options

You should be all set.

I believe during the setup process a few files are removed with the temp files. That is why the.msi error is happening . This file is missing and cannot be found for a repair installation.

What a joke this has been. I will be switching to the iphone as soon as verizon gets there act together. I was switching anyway but this confirmed it. I have not deleted DM 6.0 in fear of it taking a few files from Dm version 5.0. I will never upgrade this **bleep** again.

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330
My Carrier: Bell

Yep - Same issues, with the download.  STILL CRASHING........  

Contributor

This is the message I get after updating to 6.0.0.43

Blackberry Desktop Software has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I am running Window 7 / 64 bit PC

Please help if you can - I really need to sync my calendar and address book with my  BB. 

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Post the last 50 lines from your log at %appdata%/Research In Motion\BlackBerry Desktop\Logs\Desktop.log and we can at least check if it's one of the problems that has a known solution.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

Mattida,

Glad to hear that you've got a solution, but just to be clear, can you confirm that you have V5.0 (multilanguage nonmedia manager) working with DM6 uninstalled? 

To the forum in general -

I posted my own solution to get back to DM v5.01 in message 113 (p12) of this forum, which involved KB02206.  Others have also referred to this, but it now appears that this article has been taken down, (but see end of this post); I'm at a loss to know why, and I've e-mailed the BB Technical Support querying what has happened, using the link provided in the BB Technical Solution Centre page that my search for the KB took me to.  Bear in mind that I have also contributed to my own (UK) provider's forum on this topic, and they have basically told those of us with DM6 problems to get lost, so this forum and BB support are now my only chances of a solution. 

The following non-reply came straight back, and it’s worth reproducing here as an example of the hurdles we’re facing on this topic:-

Subject:   Action Required: Please submit BlackBerry inquiry via approved channel KB02206

Thank you for contacting BlackBerryTechnical Support. The email you submitted has not been delivered. Please find many alternative support options below.

Are you a BlackBerry Partner or Carrier?
If you are a BlackBerry Partner or Carrier and have a carrier code please contact your partner Support Account Manager as you incorrectly received this message.

Self-Help Options:
BlackBerryTechnical Solution Center. All BlackBerry smartphone users have free access to the BlackBerry Technical Solution Center a repository of support information and documentation, with enhanced search capabilities. Easily search for and find the BlackBerry support information you need.
(http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/)

BlackBerry Answers.The mobile web site that like having your own technical support team at your fingertips. Accessible right from your BlackBerry smartphone at mobile.blackberry.com, just type in a question to get step-by-step instructions that should solve the problem.(Note: BlackBerry Answers is compatible with all BlackBerry smartphones carrying a series number of 8000 and higher).

BlackBerry Support Community Forums.Get your questions answered, and participate in discussions on BlackBerry products and services. Visit the BlackBerry Community Support Forum to get started.

Flickr Picasa Facebook and Instant Messaging Applications. If you require assistance with one of our free social networking applications, please feel free to use our online web form to submit technical issues directly to BlackBerryTechnical Support at your convenience.
(http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/)

Are you already a BlackBerry Technical Support Services subscriber?
If you have a technical support services subscription, you may contact us through our online web form (https://www.blackberry.com/besc/dashboard). If your BlackBerry smartphone has been provided to you by your company, please contact your IT help desk for assistance.

All other BlackBerry smartphone users are encouraged to use one of the following options:
Contact your Wireless Service Provider. Your service provider fields general questions and provides technical support for BlackBerry related issues and can act as your first point of contact.

Subscribe to an annual based BlackBerry technical support program. BlackBerryTechnical Support Services offers 24x7 technical support and BlackBerryEnterprise Server software upgrades. If your technical support subscription has expired, or you would like to learn more about this option, copy and paste the following URL into your address bar: (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/programs/technical.jsp#tab_tab_annual.)

Obtain Pay-Per Incident Support from Research In Motion (RIM). Receive fee-based support directly from RIM, the manufacturer and wireless experts for the BlackBerry solution. If you would like to learn more about this option, please copy and paste the following URL into your address bar:
(http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/programs/technical.jsp#tab_ddetail_subtab_incident)

This can be summarised as:

1.      Are you a BlackBerry Partner or Carrier? – No, just a customer

2.      BlackBerryTechnical Solution Center – tried that, response as above.  Btw, why put a link in place if we can’t use it?  You could at least indicate that it is only for partners, carriers and subscribers.  

3.      BlackBerry Answers – I’ve now tried that; guess what, that doesn’t help either!

4.      BlackBerry Support Community Forums – well at least us participants can share our communal misery.  

5.      Contact your Wireless Service Provider – as I’ve already indicated, they told us to get lost, although of course, not in so many words.  

6.      In return for money… - OK, so you want us to compensate you for your unworkable piece of software?  Even in the UK, we don’t usually fall for that line… 

So I started out trying to get back to an earlier piece of information, and end up getting absolutely enraged at this completely opaque impasse.  This really is getting somewhat Kafkaesque. 

To those of you who’ve stuck with me this far down the post, KB02206 is still retrievable, although I don’t know for how long!!!   Google ‘Blackberry KB02206’, then click on ‘Cached’ at lower right of the first result.  It may take several minutes to come up, so give it some time.  Good Luck. 

Visitor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Thank you for this information!  I have spent hours over the past couple days trying to get my Desktop Manager to work again after having my desktop repaired/reimaged.  I spent several hours on the phone with customer service with no resolution.

My story:

DM worked fine before computer needed reimaged (5 years old, running slow, etc.).

After reimaging, DM would not open.  I typically received the standard error, "Blackberry DM has encountered an error..."  This was after MULTIPLE in/uninstalls (of the latest downloads through Verizon website) and wiping computer clean of Blackberry files.  I was about to give up, honestly, but one of the reasons I like my Blackberry is the sync with Outlook.

Anyway, I found your advice and tried it (5.0 nonmedia manager).  It worked!!!!!!!  Thank you very much! 

I don't exactly understand why it worked, but so glad it did!

Contributor

okay so how do I get the logs? Can't see anywhere on the software to get them.  I am not very computer savy.  Please advise

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

To get logs:

1. Open Windows Explorer (depends on the OS, but usually somewhere in the Start menu you'll see this)

2. In the address bar paste this text and press enter:

%appdata%\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Desktop\Logs

3.  You should see a bunch of files.  One is called 'Desktop.log'

4. Right Click the file and open it.  You can use Notepad, Word or whatever.  It's just a boring text file.

5. Scroll to the very bottom of the file

6. Copy the last 50 lines or so and paste them here.