Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Desktop Manager - Vista

Hi All,

i have a lot of problem with Desktop manager and Windows Vista.

I tried sw rev 4.3, 4.22, but i have every time some problem with the connection.

Sometime after installation, during the boot of the software it crashed and software was killed automatically.

Which is the stablest sw version on Windows vista? There are any particolar device firmware for using with Vista?

I heard a lot of problem aorund with Vista OS. Is possible that RIM is not able to develop a stable sw version for this SO?

New Contributor

Re: Desktop Manager - Vista

Cause

The BlackBerry device user is attempting to install a version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager older than version 4.2.

Resolution

To resolve this issue, download and install the latest version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager from www.blackberry.com.

IMPORTANT: If the BlackBerry device user has any previous versions of Roxio® software installed, they may still be unable to install BlackBerry Desktop Manager. If this is the case, install BlackBerry Desktop Manager without the Roxio component.

Additional Information

For BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.2.0.14

The BlackBerry device user will be able to successfully install BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.2.0.14 on Microsoft Windows Vista. However, BlackBerry Desktop Manager will exhibit the following behavior:

• BlackBerry Desktop Manager will detect the BlackBerry device on Microsoft Windows Vista in the Connection Settings menu.
  • Once Microsoft Windows Vista detects the BlackBerry device, BlackBerry Desktop Manager will show a Connected status and proceed to a Working status.
  • BlackBerry Desktop Manager will stay in a Working status unless the BlackBerry device user disconnects the BlackBerry device, at which time it will show a Disconnected status.
  • To use the BlackBerry Desktop Manager with the BlackBerry device, the BlackBerry device user must first open the appropriate component (application loader tool, backup and restore tool, email settings tool, Media Manager, or synchronization tool), then connect the BlackBerry device.

The cause of this behavior is unknown. Certain features of BlackBerry Desktop Manager do not work the same on Microsoft Windows Vista as on previous versions of Microsoft Windows.

Contributor

Hello Steexp,

Kindly find the below mentioned link to download the BlackBerry Desktop manager for Vista

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=B4568DF26077653EEADF29596708C94B

Go with the software of  BlackBerry Desktop Software V4.2 service pack 2

That is the stable software for vista the Service provider will be Vodafone Essar Limited But dont worry the Desktop Manager is universal....

Regards

Ashish s

BlackBerry Support (Vodafone).....

New Contributor

Hi All,

thanks a lot for your reply.

I tried a lot of version of this software, the stablest (for me) is 4.3...

Now everything seems to be working fine... i don't know why... I tried to change some register setting.

I'll keep you posted.

Contributor
My Device: 8800

I downloaded and installed the latest update (v4.3.0.17) yesterday.  When I try to sync, the software "stops responding" so Vista shuts it down.  (My device hangs in connected status until I unplug it).  

I guess I have to delete the program and download the previous version again, which worked fine.  I guess the newer version isn't the better version, at least for me.