Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Re: Desktop Manager Wont Backup Word Substitution

wwwandy wrote:

OMG -- You are still having this problem? Thank you for the post, but So suprised that RIM has not addressed. Ofcourse, You will have to resort to creating a new Dbase of Word Collection & AutoText. I don't believe they are going to resolve.

I have tried creating a new Database strictly for Autotext. Didn't work.

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: TELCEL

Does anyone knows the name of a firm or developer that can help me developing some APPS for BB ?

I would also like to study the "programming languagge" for the BB, any idea where to start?

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

WORKING TRANSFER OF AUTOTEXT

I recently upgraded (temporarily anyway) from a 9700, 0S 5.0, to a 9900, OS 7.0, and did a nice, clean device switch through Desktop Manager that fully switched over all my settings included all AutoText, or now Word Substitution. AutoText or Word Substitution is also one of my key reasons for using Blackberry, among others including the keyboard & trackpad functionality, generally snappy interface, CRM-friendly address book, or now Contacts, and a key app for my business called ReportAway! for Freshbooks.

CATCH 22 OF SYNCHING BES AND HAVING TO WIPE MY PHONE OF AUTOTEXT

My AutoText catch 22 relates to Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) - this is my new phone therefore I must synch it to my work server; this requires that I wipe the device of my device switch/restored data (including AutoText) that has all my settings(!). If I were to synchronize my 9900 with BES with my existing restored data I would risk doubling all my contact entries (over 9,000 contacts for me, making it 18,000 - which presumably greatly slows the device or at least has slowed past devices like the 9700 and 9000...).

Because past devices like the 9700 and 9000 have not been able to properly integrate my existing restored contacts with a BES sycnchronization I did not even try this on the 9900, but perhaps RIM has made the 9900 smart enough to handle this? Has any one tried this route or perhaps have any thoughts?

New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: telcel

Astounding that this problem exists..... cannot believe after an "upgrade" I've got to spend several hours re-typing in my 100+ autotext/word substitution codes.

I will remember this when I purchase my next phone. Pathetic.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Carrier: o2

Tell me about it !..... RIM you have REALLY let us down (what goes around, comes around!!!)  ... regretably, i woud say that the people like us are described as "power users" since we use the BB features to the MAX … ie  haviing 300+ auto texts. Rim have realised that  only 10% of users are EVEN aware of  what AUTOTEXT really is. it sems to be one of those hidden secrets that would make life soooo much easier for MANY people but is just not known. 

I am in the rental property business and use this feture EXTENSIVELY for reproducing property details at the touch of a few keystrokes. i would have swithched to the DREADED i-phone or the FABULOUS Samsung GALAXY ….. BUT these phones do not have the SAME autotext facility that i find myself STUCk t and addicted to!.... YES (before you tell me) they DO have an autotext of sorts BUT it only does ONE PARAGRAPH at a time …. there is no way of creating PARAGRAPHS within it.

I am about to upgrade to a 9900 so lets see what time wasting i do there since i know that i will have to reinput my texts once more … lets eee if they can actually be backed up as well as for thise of you that do not know, you can NOT back up your auto texts unsder desktop manager at the current time.

RIM - SHAME ON YOU !

Dont le me take a bite out of the forbidden FRUIT or take a trip to another WORLD….. Apple I-Phone vs Samsung Galaxy !!
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Q-tel

is the problem not solved yet?

New Contributor
My Carrier: telcel

Unsure, but I will not be "upgrading" my software until I am sure they've fixed it.

This cannot be a major problem to do, just a major oversight.

Somebody at RIM should be monitoring the customer forums, as 5 million consumers will discover problems and cite product enhancement suggestions as well as any staff they have....

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Q-tel

I just formated my device yesterday and i lost all word substitutions :'(

i had a lot lot lot Smiley Frustrated

i wish they solve it soon an be able to retrive it from the last backup

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Airtel

Hi, @dcamposs

may be you should try MS Word Autocorrect, it works beautifully for me.  I use it all the time.  Mighty disappointed with BB for having removed this in the upgrade to 6.0.  I had more than a few thousand short cuts in there on 5.0 Feel like kicking myself for having upgraded to 6.0 and 9300 even though many of the new features are commendable on 6.0
New Contributor
My Carrier: o2

MS Word !!!! ….ummmmm, niot sure if the comment is in the right thread or topic since we are talking about Auto text and word substutution. Even IF MS Word had auto word changers, its not built into the BB software sowe wont be able to use it within multiple applications eg email vs text etc...... I would be delighted if i were wrong.

Either way.... not evn the Z10 has olved our issues.... as brilliant a phone as it is, it has a long way to go

no line breaks in the AUTO TEXTS for starters !

cant back up auto texts

CANT SYNC OUTLOOK !!!!!! - imagine that !

Overall, we are the mugs taht arte paying the price while BB get their act together …. the sad thing is that we really are the CORE users who are LOYAL !

Dontg woryy BB...im still here !

Dont le me take a bite out of the forbidden FRUIT or take a trip to another WORLD….. Apple I-Phone vs Samsung Galaxy !!