Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Desktop Manager & BIS

I purchased a UK BB Storm for personal (BIS) use on the basis that outlook mail folders would synchronise (well done Vodafone UK)! I now understand that outlook email sync only works with BES desktop manager. Is there a way to influence RIM to include this functionality for BIS users?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Desktop Manager & BIS

what you want is available for BIS.
but you need an email provider that allows you to (basically an IMAP server is the best).
you can do that with Yahoo! Mail and Google Mail.

Google Mail has more Blackberry features than Yahoo! Mail, especially :
- mails are sent in near real time (even faster than some BES configurations)
- "mark as read" synchronizes
- you can sync Google Calendar
- you can sync Google Mail Contacts.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Hi Xandrex, thanks for your reply.  I have been with my existing ISP for a number of years, and do not want to change either my ISP service or my email address.  Making these changes to accommodate a lack of promised functionality with BB DTM is too radical a solution!  Any ideas as to how we (BB users) can pursuade RIM to incorporate this feature into BIS DTM?
Guru I

first thing :

an ISP and an email provider are two completely different things. If your choice is to use the email that your ISP has provided you, you have to bear with it Smiley Wink

Blackberry features are available for any email provider, on condition that you configure it on the BIS website for wireless email reconciliation.
Depending on the quality of the email provider, you may have more features.

Synchronizing Outlook folders is a completely different story. It has never worked with BIS. If someone told you that, they lied.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

I am able to use the Storm to send & receive emails on my Storm, using my 'normal' email address e.g. provided by my ISP.  No problems.  However, at the point of sale, I specifically asked and was told that I would be able to reconcile & synchronise all emails between my Storm & Outlook when connected via USB using DTM (BIS).  I have a corporate BB as well so I know that this works OTA with Enterprise versions.  I have subsequently discovered that they (Vodafone) were wrong at the POS re BIS, and I am trying to explore the possibility that RIM will introduce this feature into BIS DTM.

Guru I

apart from BES, email folders do not exist in the Messages application.
I have read somewhere that you could use a special free BES server for just one device, maybe you can link your personal address to such a server.

I don't think RIM is going to give BIS a folders feature, because no other concurrent does, but it's just my opinion.

Contributor

Thanks.  Any idea where I can find this single user BES?
Guru I

I'm pretty sure you can find that by clicking on the boxes on top of the present page.
Maye the SOLUTIONS one ?