Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Desktop Manager and Bold catastorphe

I Just downloaded the new Mac Blackberry Desktop Manager and synced my Bold, then i was foolish enough to upgrade the software on the Bold. It was 4.6.0.126.....after a while the desk top manager gave me a message that it couldn't complete the upgrade. The bold was left with a whitescreen , a list of applications and BlackBerryPlatform 4.0.0.245 at the top any time i try to select any of the list i get a variety of error messages "uncaught exceptions" etc. When i try to reload the old OS, the Bold won't connect (even though my MAC initially recognises there is a USB cable connected.)

Any bright ideas? up 'til now i've loved my Bold.....

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Desktop Manager and Bold catastorphe

[ Edited ]

I know you're not going to like this suggestion, but until operating system upgrades are made offiicially available for Mac, I'd recommend getting access to a Windows PC and use the PC to download and reinstall the OS to your Bold.

I should also add, I've seen this before (on my Storm) and its due to missing or corrupted OS files (from my previous experience anyhow).

If you have any problems with reloading the OS, you may also need to wipe the phone clean with an application called BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife).  This will also need to be done via Windows and will wipe the OS off the phone leaving a 507 error.  You should then be able to reload the OS with no problem.

Message Edited by Krypto on 10-02-2009 04:47 PM

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Highlighted

Exactly the same with the brand new Desktop Mgr for Mac and a BB Bold.

See

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/reload-software-507-bb-bold-94113/

for a way of restoring the BB OS (but you need a Windows PC for do that).

Good luck. 

New Contributor

You're right, it is against my principals, but it looks like i'll have to dust of a PC and remember how to use it!!
New Contributor

Guys thanks for your assistance , i'll give it a go with a PC tomorrow and let you know how i get on.......not happy with BDTM though!!
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Well, the good news is that once the kinks are worked out and once official OS releases are made available for Mac, you'll probably like the Desktop Manager for Mac even more than the version for Windows.  I have to admit, as a Windows user, I'm jealous of the user interface for Desktop Manager for Mac.  Smiley Happy

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

OK it now works after borrowing my girlfriends laptop......(i'll never live it down). So i guess i'll wait until 2.xx arrives.

Thanks guys

Visitor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: VSP South Africa

Hey guys,

I've downloaded and am using BlackBerry Desktop Manager for Mac.

Luckily when I was prompted to update my software, I didn't have a OS problem, yet, but I found that all my latest contacts were deleted? Surely BlackBerry should warn us before we upgrade?

Then, another more NB question:

Why does the Desktop Manager only allow you to MERGE or REPLACE your contacts with the ones on the computer.
Most people save numbers on their phones first. There should be an option to send backup numbers from your phone to computer. Am I doing something wrong?

To say that right now I regret owning a BlackBerry Bold is an understatement.

Thanks Lerryn