Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Desktop Manager closes instantly

1st posting Smiley Wink I am suffering with an annoying problem with desktop manager (currently v4.2 but have also tried various builds of v4.3 too). It installed fine, but as soon as I execute the app, it appears and instantly disappears/shutsdown. It happens so quickly that you can only make out the window frame not any icons within. I have tried un/reinstalling and rebooting and clearing caches, and any residual files left over but to no avail.

The Blackberry is a pearl/8100 but that should have no relevance as I do not even get that far. 

No error message is given, no dump file produced. Was all running fine but decided to play up about a week ago. Checked for software loaded since last known correct operation and have removed semi-obvious ones but no change. So, before I start uninstalling the rest, wondered if any one has any clues or similar experiences?

Programs to be uninstalled (listed in case anyone can spot a probable culprit):

Avast! Antivirus (update)

CatiaV5plugin for SolidView (update)

SolidView/Pro (update)

Paragon Partition Manager 9.0

Memeo AutoBackup

Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.13 (update)

Synaptics Pointing Device Driver (update)

Thanks, in advance. 

Mark
Pearl 8100 & 8120 on Orange | 4.5.0.5.52
BB DTM 4.5.075
nc6220 Pen M | Vista Biz 6.0.6000.20752
Forums Advisor I
My Device: Curve 8900

Re: Desktop Manager closes instantly

What operating system are you using?
Contributor

Good question. Vista Business, with all patches/fixes/updates etc.
Mark
BB DTM 4.5.075
Forums Advisor I

I have seen this issue reported by other forum members running Vista. Some of them fixed the issue by having the Desktop Manager program being run as Administrator. I think you have to right click on the executable and then set  it to run as Administrator. Forgive me as I don't have Vista. I will try to find some threads referencing this issue.
Forums Advisor I

[ Edited ]

I found the following thread on the BlackBerry Forums: http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/93261-bb-dtm-closing-immediately.html

Look like the resolution for him was:

Joy. Here's what I did:

1. Clean install following instructions here.

2. Uninstalled my device drivers/software.

3. Reboot.

4. Register atl.dll following instructions in post referenced above.

5. Installed BB DTM 4.2 SP2, running install file as administrator. Left options checked "yes" for auto start and desktop icon. I clicked yes every time the installer asked if I wanted to replace the existing installations of Roxio software that came with my computer.

6. Clicked "yes" to reboot when installer suggested.

7. Installed latest drivers/software for my particular device.

8. Double-clicked BB DTM shortcut on desktop.

9. Set connection settings to USB.

10. Plugged in my device.

11. Celebrated.

Message Edited by JeremyKitching on 04-08-2008 05:52 AM
Regular Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Cable & Wireless

I have seen this a few times, however, it only usually happens when a newer version has been installed,, is this the case?  If so then you must also, (carefully) delete the Registry string from the software folder under current machine as well as uninstall the original version.  Might also be worth searching for any old Research IN Motion Folders and deleting them also.  Basically, it needs to be completely cleaned out before applying a new version.

Also, when installing the new version point the instalation to a different folder.

Again, this is only if you had an earlier version installed prior to this one..

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Cable & Wireless

Sorry, I meant LOCAL MACHINE in the registry...
Contributor

Okay... I followed the very clear instructions to the letter. At the point of registering the active library "run...regsvr32 alt.dll" I got an error that said alt.dll didn't exist. Searched the drive, no such file. Searched another Vista machine, same, no such file. Then noted that the instructions really related to OS's other than Vista.

Installed the latest BB DTM 4.3.025 and again followed the guidance. Hey presto, it ran Smiley Happy) and I was able to backup my BB. One step further at least.

Then I set about setting the synch options (Outlook 2007) for calendar, contacts and notes. All good so far. And then I hit the synch button. It read the device memories, compared the Outlook entries, an.... crashed and repeatedly so at each attempt to synch. Doh. Smiley Sad

Mark
BB DTM 4.5.075
Contributor

A little more info... works fine on notes/memos, contacts/address book,... crashes on the calendar synch...
Mark
BB DTM 4.5.075
Contributor

Repeatedly crashes when synch'ing the calendar... dialog says "processing device calendar" when it crashes. Tried all manner of variation - limited date ranges, all dates synch, one-way synch, two-way synch,... crashes when dialog says "processing device calendar"... Smiley Mad
Mark
BB DTM 4.5.075