Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Desktop Manager crashes when synching my Bold with Outlook Express address book (contacts)

Hi all, hope you are well.

I recently got a Blackberry Bold and I have been trying to synch it with my Outlook Express address book, as all my contacts are there (telephone numbers etc).

However, Desktop Manager always seems to crash when it gets to a certain number of records.

I have looked at and tried the various solutions on here, but they have not worked.

I tried re-installing Desktop Manager, still didn't work.

I tried deleting Intellisync folder. Does not make a difference, as I am going back into Desktop Manager and only selecting Address Book to synch. So Intellisync folder fills up straight after that again.

It's always crashing when it gets to record 169 of 208.

So I thought maybe I should try and delete some of my contacts in address book which are around record 169.

I assumed that it goes alphabetically, so 169 will be more towards end of alphabet..........

Anyways, I did this yesterday, and still no difference. It still crashes but it shows less records. So now it says 167 of 205 for example.

Please can anyone help as I really want to put my contacts in the handset.

Oh and by the way, I did have the new Curve for a very short period of time and when I synched it with Outlook Express, it worked straight away. No problems. I use Outlook Express, because Desktop Manager does not pick up Microsoft Outlook when selecting the source for synching.

Thank you and I hope to hear from you!!

All the best!

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Desktop Manager crashes when synching my Bold with Outlook Express address book (contacts)

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Read the attached chart, Outlook Express is not supported by some versions

of desktop manager. If you have to reinstall, use the attached procedure to

insure you make a clean removal.

Thanks,

Bifocals

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB12268&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02206&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Re: Desktop Manager crashes when synching my Bold with Outlook Express address book (contacts)

Hi, the problem (99%) is you have any attach file to the contact, maybe a picture, note, etc>

Look and remove the attachment and synch again. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Highlighted
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Cause

There are multiple causes for this error.

Summary of Causes

1. You have created a Microsoft® Outlook® contact that contains no name or company name (for example, a contact with only a phone number).
  2. There are invalid characters (#$@!%-,^") in your BlackBerry smartphone Address Book, your IBM® Lotus® Notes® address book, or your Microsoft Outlook contacts.
  3. You have created a Novell® GroupWise® contact that contains no first name and last name, supplying only the display name.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.