03-01-2011 07:49 AM - edited 03-01-2011 07:53 AM
I'm trying to connect a BlackBerry (device or simulator) via USB to our BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES). This was working for another instance of a BES and also a testing BES Express. We are using Microsoft Exchange. So I have a couple of Outlook profiles. When starting the Desktop Manager I select the profile according to the connected device. The communication between the Desktop Manager and the handheld works fine. The only problem is the connection to the BES.
The Device Manager shows under bypass "Connecting" (somewhat similar, it's not running in english) and the servername is "srp.eu.blackberry.net:4101". So it tries to connect to the internet instead of the local BlackBerry server. With the other BES servers it always showed the local name or IP and the connection was immediatly established. Unfortunately at the moment I have no other BES to connect to.
I searched my local registry for the setting in the Desktop Manager, but just found under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\PINData the correct serviceUid (like S12345678) of our local BES server. My problem is, I don't know how this serviceUid is mapped to a server name.
Our license is from a BES 4.1 which was updated to a 5.0, maybe there are some old settings which block the communication.
Question: Where does the Device Manager get the address from to which it connects? Is it stored in the exchange? Or in the BES (global or along with the user)? Does the Desktop Manager lookup the name itself?
PS: Desktop Manager 18.104.22.168 (Sep 25 2010), Device Manager 22.214.171.124, BBDevMgr 126.96.36.199
Solved! Go to Solution.
03-01-2011 08:32 AM
I just tried to connect from another PC, which had no BlackBerry Desktop installed. There I used the WebDesktop to connect the phone to our BES.
It also tried to connect to the internet instead to our local server. So it seems that it is a server problem and not a client problem.
03-01-2011 10:08 AM
Just found this older knowledge base article http://www.besadmin.info/KB12733/Serial-bypass-doe
I entered the IP of our server. Under Statistics->Bypass now two connections showing up: One to the configured IP and one to the blackberry server. Because the connection to our local server also hangs with "connecting", i looked at our BES and found, that port 4101 is not open.
Current questions: Where is the bypass port configured? Is it normal to connect to the internet if the BES is not running a Router (which is repsonsible for the bypass?)?
03-01-2011 10:40 AM
Found first answer: The bypass port is set in the registry http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB04675 resolution 3 (in my case it was not set):
"Modify the serial bypass port used by the BlackBerry Router by opening the Registry Editor and creating the following registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\BlackBerryRouter:
Data: <Available port number> (Decimal)
Also because the first mentioned knowledgebase article ( KB12733) said, that the service book was not correct, I security wiped my device... After connecting the CMIME service book showed the correct UID (don't know what it was before), but still no connection.
Will try simply restarting the router service on the BES...
03-02-2011 04:09 AM - edited 03-02-2011 04:32 AM
I now got our test BES running again. When connecting the device via USB it successfully conntects to it.
So it still seems the problem is a configuration problem of our BES
06-06-2011 02:45 PM
How did you manage to resolve this. I am having the same issue. Device manager is not able to connect to BES. I checked the registry setting and the 4101 port was missing. I added it and restarted router service and then restart the server itself. Still port 4101 is not listening on the blackberry server. Please let me know how did you get this resolved.
09-12-2011 05:23 AM
This is still not solved! I could do my tests with another BES, but the one BES environment still does not allow connections but tries to connect to the srp.eu.blackberry.net :-(
11-15-2011 04:51 AM
Finally I found the solution! It's pretty simple if you know where to look:
The Server Routing Protocol (SRP) address has been entered as a server name. The Router Host only accepts connections from localhost."
In the BlackBerry Administration Service you have to check the SRP settings. These are in the dispatcher component instance. In the section "SRP Adresses" is only the value "localhost" allowed. Somebody entered here the SRP server name. Now when I just enter "localhost" the serial bypass (per USB) is working again
12-05-2011 06:31 PM