Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 8310
My Carrier: Etisalat

Desktop Manager freezes 64-bit Win7 system

[ Edited ]

I have been attempting to install the Desktop Manager 5.0.1 (non-Media Manager version) on a PC having a fresh installation of Windows 7 64-bit.

The BBDM installs OK but the system freezes during boot-up. Removing BBDM solves the problem and the PC works perfectly. 

I have seen reports saying that BBDM does not support 64-bit OS's, but others saying that it does - very confusing. The symptoms are classic driver problems/conflict. I have tried installing the application in Safe Mode, but the OS will not allow installation, saying programs cannot be installed in Safe Mode. However, I have installed other (genuine 64 bit drivers) in Safe Mode, which supports the view that BBDM has only 32-bit USB drivers.

I have also tried older versions of BBDM with the same result. All installs were done with full Administrator rights.

Does anyone know the answer to this problem? Can anyone help?

Since writing the above I have found that the BBDM does not include the USB drivers. Could this be the cause of the problem?

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Desktop Manager freezes 64-bit Win7 system

I am having issues as well. I downloaded BBDM 5.01 which is supposed to be compatible with Windows 7. My issue is that BBDM does not have an option for Windows 7 in the compatibility menu?  Did you find any solutions?

Regular Contributor

i have bbdm 5.0.1 on my windows 7 64 bit and it works fine.. but its the 32 bit version thats installed... did you download it from the main download link here? 

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/

and just click downloadfor pc? thats where i got it from and i had no problem. are you in administrator mode?

www.whatsgoodblog.com
What's Good is your one stop site reviews about everything.

http://www.whatsgoodblog.com/featured/how-to-install-beta-os-or-other-carrier-os-on-blackberry-with-desktop-manager-for-mac/
New Contributor
My Device: 8310
My Carrier: Etisalat

[ Edited ]

joshtb86 wrote:

i have bbdm 5.0.1 on my windows 7 64 bit and it works fine.. but its the 32 bit version thats installed... did you download it from the main download link here? 

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/

and just click downloadfor pc? thats where i got it from and i had no problem. are you in administrator mode?

Thanks for the reply.

It was installed in Administrator Mode and downloaded from the location you gave.

Did you install the USB drivers before installing BBDM?

Regular Contributor

i didnt know that was possible. i thoguht you could only install the bbdm? didnt know there were separate usb drivers from the bbdm install

www.whatsgoodblog.com

http://www.whatsgoodblog.com/featured/how-to-install-beta-os-or-other-carrier-os-on-blackberry-with-desktop-manager-for-mac/
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes. this is the site I downloaded from .. twice.. ..same problem I'm not really sure how to download in admin mode..  any tips on how to do that?

Regular Contributor

if you are the only user account on your computer, then you should already be in admin mode. if not, you need to ask whoever is to install or to give you admin privileges.

www.whatsgoodblog.com

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes I am the only user.. so I guess I am in Admin . I just can't  take the frustration anmyore and guess I will continue to use BBDM on my.

My Device: Blackberri Curve 9300
My Carrier: tigo

he intentado instalar mi BBMD en mi laptop que tiene win7 y es a 64 bits, pero me sale despues de que descargo y comienzo a instalar is not a valid win32 application no se por que razon me sale que no es una aplicacion valida, supongo que es por lo bits o no se, alguien que me pueda ayudar, dandomelo los pasos o una version diferente para poder conectar mi bb.... Gracias

Highlighted
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: AT&T

I've been trying to install on a 32-bit Win7, with the same problems.

I've done a clean uninstall of the old Desktop Manager, rebooted, made sure to turn off antivirus program startup before rebooting, downloaded the latest Desktop Manager, installed... and always the same thing:  it hangs up completely.  Not only does the Blackberry Desktop Manager freeze, but the whole computer freezes for several minutes. 

have gone through this several times.  I also redid it and "ran as administrator" when installing the program.

Strange, but when I start the computer in safe mode, the BBDM WILL start!  I've checked my startup items and turned off EVERYTHING except windows processes, but when I start in normal mode, the software will not run.  The logo comes up and then hangs. 

Anyone have a solution?

Thanks!