Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8900

Desktop Manager not detecting BB via USB

[ Edited ]

Ok I have an issue... this never happened before, but its really annoying now lol

I hope someone out there has had a similar problem... the friggen answer is probably staring me right in the face, but i'm just missing it.

Anyways only my Blackberry Desktop Software will not detect my Curve 8900 via my USB cable on WIndows Vista 64-bit.  When the cable is plugged in, the phone charges, I am able to access my memory card that I have in the phone within Windows without a problem.  Its just the Desktop Manager will not find the phone via USB.

The phone works fine connecting to Desktop Manager using Bluetooth.  I can sync up no problem there.  Its just the Desktop Manager will not find the phone via USB.

Let me stress the fact that use used to work... I don't get why this has happened.

Nothing appears in my Event Viewer, I get no error messages.  The same phone, with the same USB cable works just fine on a Windows XP computer.  Hell, it even works on the same computer, within a VMWare environment using the same USB port tried on the Windows Vista installation.

I have tried all the steps listed at this link:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02640&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

nothing seems to want to work Smiley Sad

Does this make sense to anybody out there? lol

Let me list you my specs to make this clear

Operating System: Windows Vista Business 64-bit

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810

RAM: 8GB

etc..

etc.. lol

Desktop Manager Version 4.7.0.37 [Mar 18 2009]

Device Communications

Blackberry Device Manager - 4.3.1.15

BBDevMgr - 4.1.0.5

RIM USB Driver - 4.1.0.4

RIM USB Serial Driver - 2.1.0.4

Application Loader

Application Loader - 4.7.0.58

RIMProgram - 1.0.0.35

Blackberry Smartphone [located in Device Manager within Universal Serial Bus controllers]

Driver Date: 4/16/2008

Driver Version: 4.1.0.4

Message Edited by prot0fein on 07-12-2009 08:50 PM
Did ya miss me??
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry 9700

Re: Desktop Manager not detecting BB via USB

Hello prot0fein,

So I take from your post that the device and the computer communicate but only through your VM on the computer or using mass storage mode on the host.  Am I correct about this?

Can you tell me what devices in device manager appear/disappear when you connect and disconnect your device on the affected computer?

Also, have you tried this article?  

Article Title: How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

ArticleNumber:  KB02206

Link: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02206

-tg

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Hello thundergeek,

Yes you are correct.  An XP OS and any Vista OS I run in VMWare it works fine.  Just my Host Windows Vista x64 PC the Blackberry Desktop Software doesn't pick up the phone using the USB Cable.

This is what appears in Device Manager

When the phone is plugged in:

Blackberry Smartphone [located in Device Manager directly under 'Universal Serial Bus controllers']

Driver Date: 4/16/2008

Driver Version: 4.1.0.4

Blackberry SD [located in Device Manager directly under 'Portable Devices']

When the phone IS NOT plugged in:

Nothing.  The device removes itself.

As for the clean uninstall, yes I have tried that before, and it probably wouldn't hurt trying it again... 

Did ya miss me??
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry 9700

prot0fein,

It also wouldn't hurt to try to create a new Windows user account to see if that helps your situation.  If you have installed BlackBerry Desktop Manager for all users then you should be able to test that out pretty quickly.  Also, have you confirmed your UAC settings under control panel > User Accounts ?

-tg

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

UAC has been disabled for a long time now!! lol

I have also tryed many other user accounts and it does the same thing in all of them.

Did ya miss me??
New Contributor

SOLUTION Found for those interested

This worked perfectly for me, and oddly enough it was a fix for VMWare (also having trouble detecting USB devices)

Try right clicking on one of the USB hubs (in device manager) and looking at the driver details. If usbfilter.sys is listed then open your Registry Editor, and browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} and delete the UpperFilter, usbfilter pair.

I rebooted after making this change, and it works great now.  Its the first time in months that I've been able to plug my Curve 8900 using my USB cable into my Windows Vista (now Windows 7) 64-bit PC.

KUDO's to the VMWare people for finding this solution.  Thank god it also fixed my BB Desktop Manager!! WOOT WOOT!!

Here is a link where I found this solution

http://bx.businessweek.com/consumer-arbitration/view?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcommunities.vmware.com%2Fmessa...

Merry Christmas everyone :smileyhappy:

Did ya miss me??