Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330 - PINK!
Accepted Solution

Desktop Manager

I may be confused. I am coming from a Palm PDA. The person at the cell phone provider told me I thought that Blackberry had a proprietary desktop like the Palm Desktop. I almost didn't buy the Blackberry over that since I wanted to sync with Outlook. But it appears to me the Palm syncs with Outlook. Is this correct or am I missing something?
Forums Veteran III
My Device: DTEK60

Re: Desktop Manager

Welcome to the Blackberry Forums!

I, too, made the switch from Palm to Blackberry about 2 months ago, but I was not using Outlook at the time.  The BB desktop is not like the Palm desktop at all in that there is no calendar, tasks etc on a platform that you enter data into.  If you have been sync'ing your Palm with Outlook, you can do the same with BB.

There is a 'Device Switch Wizard' on the BB desktop that should set up the 'conduits' as you are used to them from the Palm.

IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

HI and welcome to the forums!

You can sync your Blackberry to Outlook as well.

Blackberry's desktop manager program is used to synchronize, backup, restore and configure data on the Blackberry.

You can also use the desktop manager to do the initial data transfer between your Palm and the Blackberry using the

Switch Device Wizard.

Try this link to Blackberry 101, click on 8330 smartphone and when the demo loads, click on menu in the upper

left hand corner. Go to option "using your device with a computer".

Once you see the basic principal, post back and let us know what particulars we can help with.

Please include the following information in your reply so we can give you the best help:

Version of Outlook

Version of Windows (if Vista 32 or 64 bit)

Version of Palm software your are on.

Thanks,

Bifocals

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/blackberry101/#tab_tab_curve

Message Edited by Bifocals on 04-18-2009 09:12 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Telus

device switch wizard is ok, but if you have your palm synced with outlook, just stick in desktop manager and sync outlook with your bb... must more stable and surefire way for it to work correctly.

palm and bb are different technologies and different file format... however they both understand outlook... outlook is your common ground friend

Contributor

Device switch didn't work for me.
Contributor

After I posted [and shortly before throwing the device across the room Smiley Tongue] I found Blackberry 101. It was VERY helpful. I cleaned up Outlook 2007 and was set, at least with the 32 bit laptop. Next I'll try on the 64 bit desktop.  I've bookmarked this forum.
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Cool!
Glad you got it figured out.
Thanks,

Bifocals
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter