Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Desktop Mgr 6 - "Music services failed to load"

I've got a T-Mobile Curve 8520.

This afternoon I uninstalled Desktop Mgr 5.0.1 and Office 2007 (with Outlook). I then installed Office 2010 (with Outlook), and finally installed the new Desktop Manager 6.0.0.

Almost everything works, but when I try to go to the Music page in the new Desktop Manager I see this:

Music services failed to load

An unexpected error occurred.

I've confirmed that the media card is enabled to act as a Mass Storage Device. I've rebooted the laptop, and shut down and restarted the 8520. I've closed and opened and closed Outlook and Windows Media Player. Desktop Manager is configured to use WMP, not iTunes.

Does anybody have any ideas as to how to fix this?

Thanks,
Steve

Retired

Re: Desktop Mgr 6 - "Music services failed to load"

Hi noahsmybro:

If you post your log, we might be able to track down the issue.

It’s located at %appdata%\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Desktop\Logs\Desktop.log

(If it’s very large, you can delete the log, launch Desktop, reproduce the problem and close Desktop.  This will create the smallest log possible without extra information).

cheers

M

Need additional information on BlackBerry products?

visit: http://www.blackberry.net

blackberry.net

New Developer

[ Edited ]

Thanks, I didn't even think of looking there. (Sure feel dumb now! Smiley Happy )

An error I see in the log states "INNER EXCEPTION: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException -- MESSAGE: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values". The parameter involved relates to a path. It occurred to me that the problem may be due to my music library being stored on a NAS and not the local hard drive, so I removed that library and only used a music library on my D: drive (same physical drive as C: ), but the problem remained.

If I set the Desktop Manager software to use iTunes the music pane loads without problem.

I've attached the log to this post. Thanks for your help.

Retired

Hi noah:

You’re right.  This issue is coming from attempting to get album art for a file that is on network storage.

When you removed the music from the network storage, are you sure you removed it all?  Windows Media Player is very good at keeping files around (they can be removed from your library, but still exist in playlists, for example.)

We’ll get this issue fixed for a future release, but the only work around right now is to ensure WMP is clear of all of those files.

blackberry.net

New Developer

Thanks M.

In WMP I simply removed the library. I didn't try to remove any actual files from the NAS.

(This is venturing into WMP (and not DM) so I understand if you can't or don't want to continue helping me with this, btw. But here goes...)

I'm guessing that if I remove the library from WMP, and delete any playlists that reference the external library, the error will go away. Would there be anything else I need to do to eliminate anything in WMP that references the external files?

And do you have any idea when the DM software might be able to accomodate external music libraries?

Thanks again for the help,

Steve

Retired

Hi Steve:

If you remove everything from WMP (songs in the library and playlist...don't delete the files from the NAS) it should do the trick.  However, WMP is a bit of a mystery at the best of times . . . I hope it works no less.

Currently, if you want to use external storage, you can do so by mapping the storage to a drive letter and then adding the files in the mapped location to WMP.

accomidating external music libraries is being investigated for DM, although i do not have an exact date when that will happen.

Cheers

blackberry.net

My Device: 9700
My Carrier: bouygues

I have the same problem and I am sure its due to network storage, even though the drive is mapped.

In reality i use parallels since i am on mac and thats why it seems that it is network storage.

please fix this it's very annoying.

New Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Not sure if there was also an update that fixed this, but I was having the same problem until I changed USB ports on my computer. Helped me.. maybe it will help someone else.

My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers Canad

Hi,

I have the same issue - how can it be fixed?

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Storm 2
My Carrier: Verizon

I can sync well with Windows Media Player but get the "Music services failed to load" error message with ITunes.  ITunes has my playlists, and I never use Windows Media Player.  I've seen some message traffic about album art, and even a rather involved series of steps that worked for one fellow on other boards, but no luck here.  Any ideas, or any resolution in sight?  Thanks.