Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Desktop Redirector (connection cannot be initialised)

We have a Blackberry 8800, which was set up with the Desktop Redirector software installed on a laptop in the office which is always left on so that emails coming through can be transmitted to the device..  Recently something appears to have changed, although I cannot see what.

The redirector comes up with "Connection to your email system could not be initialized"

I have seen a webpage which lists the possible causes for this, and been through to check if they are causing this problem, but I am not getting anywher.  The only ones I haven't been able to check are because the connection cannot be initialised.

Any thoughts?! 

Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8320, 8120

Re: Desktop Redirector (connection cannot be initialised)

[ Edited ]

Hi s_protocol

Troubleshooting the Desktop Redirector can be a bit tricky as there are really few things you can do. From the message you are getting its obvious that the Redirector doesn't see your mail server. Ensure you have a direct connection to the mailserver through your LAN (VPN does not work reliably). Ensure you are using Exchange as a mail server.

It could also be your mail profile. You could try to create a new profile by going to control panel, mail, show profiles. Add a new profile in there using your exchange settings (call it BlackBerry or something like that). You will not need to use this new profile to access Outlook - if it works with your old profile there is no need to change it. Once you have a new profile set up, set the Desktop Manager and redirector to use this new profile by going to Desktop Manager, options, profile settings. You will need to close and relaunch the Redirector for the changes to take place.

An alternate solution would be to set up a BIS account and let it deliver your email. Please see my post here for some information about that. Note that you can use POP and IMAP protocols as well as Outlook Web Access.  One advantage of using BIS over Redirector is that you can receive attachments with BIS but not with Redirector.

Message Edited by Bolder on 06-27-2008 10:35 AM