Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Verizon

Desktop Software Upgraade

Thanks for help in advance.  I am having trouble installing the new version of Desktop.  I plug my Blackberry in to my Mac and Desktop Manager opens.  I choose "Applications" and a message comes up which says "There is a newer version of Blackberry Desktop Software required to update the software on your device.  Download updated version and try again."  

I had already updated the software on my Blackberry Bold to 6.0 bundle 2333 and the Desktop Software recognizes in the "Additional Details" dropdown box Vrsion 6.0.0.524.

So I than Uninstall the old BDS, download and install the new BDS per the instructions and when I plug my phone in and BDS opens I am given the same error message when I choose "Applications" again?

Any ideas as to what I may be doing wrog?  I rally appreciate any help.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Maxis

Re: Desktop Software Upgraade

What Mac OS are you using?

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Telus

I'm having the same problem. I updated the Desktop software in hopes of updating my Bold to OS 6.0. It continues to indicate that my desktop software isn't the 'latest version' despite no later version existing. I've uninstalled and re-installed the desktop software already.

I'm running OS 10.5.8.
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodaphone

I have the same problem it started yesterday. Has OS X had any updates recently?

My Device: Curve 3G
My Carrier: Vodaphone UK

I'm having the same problem. It says

"A newer version of BlackBerry® Desktop Software is required to update the software on your device. Please download an updated version and retry.

I've uninstalled it, reinstalled it, restarted my computer, restarted my blackberry... I've had problems with App World too. So far not having a great user experience with blackberry! Already had to visit two phone shops with assistants who didn't really help much.

Looked to see if there are software updates for mac but I'm up to date. Running 10.5.8.

Please help, I'm sick of not being able to get this to work, I've spent a week trying to make it happen.

New Contributor
My Device: 8520-9700
My Carrier: t-mobile

Im facing the same problem it only says

A newer version of BlackBerry® Desktop Software is required to update the software on your device. Please download an updated version and retry.

mac os lion and already have the latest version

please help

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

Thank goodness it isn't just me. I posted my experiences as a discussion. Now I'm stuck with no DTM and my 9780 is dead to the world. RIM support is shocking too. Lion OSX. 

Some time later: I installed into my W7 PC. The DTM installation was ok but it runs minimised only. PLugged my new Playbook into the PC and the Windows device installer went to work and then failed. What a mess.

New Contributor
My Device: 8520-9700
My Carrier: t-mobile

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

but what if I've already downloaded version 2.1.2?  Isn't this a later version?

(forgive my ignorance)

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: TELUS

Re: Desktop Software Upgrade

Try using the newest release of the Desktop Manager... (released Aug 15)

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=CBC462E27100DAD71CDBF606D396...

In the About window it should say Version 2.1.2 (build 8) to be the most current.

You can then check to see if there is a more current version of the BOLD's operating system currently available (this is how you would upgrade from OS-5 to OS-6 on the Bold 9700 --> OS-7 apparently will only ever work on the new devices).

When you are using the Mac version of the Desktop Software you are limited to the device software authorized by your mobile carrier. 

This how this is done:

Once your Desktop Manager's software is updated, then do a sync (and a back up) and before ejecting the devise go to the applications icon. When it checks your device applications, you have an option to look for device software. This is done the by clicking the "Check for Updates" button. Then on the next window click the "Show Other Versions" button. The newest version will be shown as well as your current version if you are on a different one. If you wish to download a newer version highlight the item and then follow the on-screen directions. Of course BACKUP your device data first.

If you wish to see if there's a newer version directly at RIM you can go look at http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

or http://ca.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp (for just the Canadian carriers)

From my experience with TELUS, they are quick to update to the newest version and I have never needed to consider going to a Windows PC just to update the device software.

Tom