12-02-2010 08:09 PM
I am a Blackberry newbie having bought my first one yesterday: a Bold 9780.
I installed the Desktop Software that came with the CD on my notebook running Windows 7 Professional. When Desktop Software started up after installation, I immediately got an error message that said "Rim.Desktop.Autoupdate has stopped working" and it then tries to search for a solution which didn't work.
However, Desktop Software managed to open up nicely despite that problem. In the main window, I went through the setup procedure as prompted. But when I got to "Organizer" and click on "Configure Settings...", it will attempt to do so but will crash with a message saying "Black Berry Desktop Software has stopped working". I have tried it several times and had the same response.
I have spent close to 8 hours through the night reading through all the message and forums here and on other websites and have tried countless ideas: clean uninstall and reinstall, register DLL files, etc. but nothing works. I have even tried installing the previous version 5.0.1 which also has some issues with being unable to open device database or something like that.
Getting this desktop software working is very important as I need to import all my work contacts from Outlook 2007 to my new 9780.
I am really at my wits end and would appreciate any help.
Thanks so much.
12-04-2010 09:46 AM
12-05-2010 09:29 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply. I tried the steps mentioned at the sites you linked but none of them helped at all. Upon further searching, I found a KB article mentioning that the crashing issue has been escalated with no solution as yet. It recommended that DM 5.0.1 be used instead.
So I did a clean uninstall of Desktop Software 6, downloaded DM 5.0.1 and went through the setup as documented. Did a sync and encountered a new problem. I check through and found some articles that recommended I try to narrow down the problem. I managed to sync my "task" and "notes" list on Outlook 7 with the BB Bold 9780 with no issues. But when I tried to sync the "Calendar" and "Address Book", it failed. Opening the log file, I discovered this error:
12-09-2010 03:57 PM - edited 12-09-2010 04:00 PM
Software: Desktop Software 6
OS: Windows 7 Professional 32 bit
Ok, as I stated above, "Rim.Desktop.Autoupdate" was crashing whenever I launched "Desktop Software" version 6. On top of that, whenever I clicked on the [Configure settings...] button on "Organizer" in "Desktop Software", it will run for a while before the whole program crashes. And even if I were to close the program without doing anything, it too will crash.
After combing through countless forums and stuff, I checked out the Desktop.log file and found an interesting entry:
Date|Log Level|Thread ID|Module ID|Log ID|Message [2010-12-09 04:42:39.308]
04:42:39.326|INFO |1|Rim.Desktop.Shell|1|Application Started
04:42:39.338|INFO |1|Rim.Desktop.Shell|2|Rim.Desktop.exe Version: 220.127.116.11
04:42:39.338|INFO |1|Rim.Desktop.Shell|2|OS Version: Vista [Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7600.0]
04:42:39.338|INFO |1|Rim.Desktop.Shell|2|CLR Version: 2.0.50727.4952
04:42:39.343|ERROR|1|Rim.Desktop.Common|0|Failed to read registry key.
System.Security.SecurityException: Requested registry access is not allowed.
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name)
I took up someone's suggestion and tried to take ownership and permission of HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. But that only screwed up my network connections completely. But thanks to Windows 7 "Restore this computer to an earlier point in time" utility in Control Panel, I was able to reverse the damage.
Then it occurred to me to try to take ownership and permission of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ SOFTWARE\Research In Motion" and "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion".
Taking ownership of the former went well but trying to do so for the latter threw up the error message "Registry Editor cannot set Owner on the key currently selected, or some of its subkeys." So I decided to take ownership of each individual sub-keys in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion" to see where the problem was.
I finally manage to narrow it down to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\AppLoader".
But of course the challenge now was to figure out how to take ownership of this sub-key. I found this site http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/09/02/grant-rea
After that, I tried launching Desktop Software 6 again. This time round, it worked.
"Rim.Desktop.Autoupdate" didn't crash and neither did Desktop Software when I click on [Configure settings...] or tried to exit the program.
The steps to edit the registry.
1) Make a back up of the registry file or just make sure that Windows 7's restore program has the latest image of your system
2) Click on the Windows start button on the lower left corner of your task bar. That's the one with the Windows logo on it
3) In the space above it with the magnifying glass on its left, type "regedit" (without the quotation marks of course) and hit [Enter].
4) Look for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", click on it and scroll down to look for "SOFTWARE". Click on that and then look for "Research In Motion".
5) Within that sub-key, you should see "AppLoader", "Blackberry", "Blackberry Transcoder", "Common" and "DesktopAutoUpdate".
For the steps on how to take ownership, please refer to http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/09/02/grant-rea
Oh, and please remember to make sure your userID or the user group you belong to has Full Control over those sub-keys.