Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Orange / EE

Desktop Software doesn't find phone

[ Edited ]

Windows 7 Pro - Torch 9800

I tried to update the Blackberry OS today but it seemed to fail halfway through without updating anything. The phone is fine and works exactly as before. However, if I connect it to the PC (via the USB cable I've always used) the Blackberry software doesn't appear to find it. Windows does find it if I set it to USB or Scan mode. I've tried updating the desktop software but that didn't help.

I should add - when the phone is connected the desktop software launches - so it obviously sees it to start with but then says 'disconnected'

Any thoughts?

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: Desktop Software doesn't find phone

Windows 7 Pro

Bold 9900

I had a similar problem just now. System asked me to update device software. Mid-way through update system said it needed to update desktop software too. All updates executed normally. After I finished some work in Outlook, I restarted my PC as instructed. BB Desktop automatically executed. When I plugged in my phone (and selected "charge only"), Windows downloaded new driver successfully but BB desktop never recognized phone. I removed phone and closed BB desktop, then plugged phone in again (and selected "sync media"). BB desktop started up but never recognized the phone as connected, meanwhile Windows installed another driver(?).

I synced successfully this morning, so I believe the problem is in one of the updates or their interaction.

Any suggestions?

OS 7.1 bundle 2108
Visitor
My Carrier: TELUS

Windows 8.1 - Bold 9900

I am in the same situation.

This evening I got a notification on my Bold that new software was available.  I chose to download that software over the air and that completed successfully.  I choose to install the software and I got a message stating that the software was invalid and to either download it again or to use the Desktop Software.

I ran my currently installed Desktop Software, connected to my Bold and performed a backup.  At this point the Desktop Software was showing an update available for my Bold's device software.  I choose to update my Bold and I got a message stating that the Desktop Software would require an update to do so, so I select Yes to install the new Desktop Software.  The installation ran and I restarted my computer when prompted to.

After the restart the Desktop Software started up.  I plugged in my Bold and the Desktop Software does not connect to it.  I can select "USB Drive, Sync Media, Charge Only" on my Bold and I can see the Bold's drives in my windows explorer as normal.  But after cold restarting my Bold and restarting my computer again I cannot get the Desktop Software to connect to my Bold.

I then got my Playbook and same deal.  I plug it into my computer and the screen on the Playbook  displays that it is connected to the computer but the Desktop Software does not connect to the Playbook either.   I cannot see a Playbook drive in windows explorer either.

My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: O2

I have the same problem, did a back up on both my Curve 8520 and Bold 9800. Desktop said i needed to download an update to update one of the phones. Installed it and now when I connect either phone the Desktop Software starts (as if knowing there is a phone connected) but then won't see or connect to the actual phone.

Tried it on 3 different PC's and each time you do the update to the software,the Desktop Software stops seeing the phones....

Contributor

Manually installing latest desktop software and device software has not resolved the issue.

OS 7.1 bundle 2108
Contributor

FYI the instructions in the post 'Cleanly "Starting Over" with the Desktop Software (non-BES)' worked for me, but I had to re-configure the device and I think I lost the files on the device (need to check my backup).

OS 7.1 bundle 2108
Contributor

FYI the instructions in the post 'Cleanly "Starting Over" with the Desktop Software (non-BES)' worked for me, but I had to re-configure the device and I think I lost the files on the device (need to check my backup).
OS 7.1 bundle 2108
Contributor
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

I had this problem yesterday and spent several hours on the phone with Blackberry support. Here's what I posted in another link to fix the problem: Finally got it working again! Re-downloaded the desktop software (but when you start it up, make sure to uncheck the automatic update option). While that was downloading, I was instructed to go to microsoft.com and search for and download .NET Framework 3.5. Once you click to download that, there will be an offer to download 2 other items. One of which will be Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (Web Installer). Click to download that too. Once they are finished downloading, run both files. .Net Framework 4 Client Profile will take longer and will ask you if you want to repair or remove. Choose repair. The repair took several minutes, but once it was done, I clicked "Finish", opened the BB Desktop Software, UNCHECKED THE AUTO UPDATE OPTION, and plugged in my phone. Once windows finished installing the drivers, Low and behold! The Desktop software recognized that the phone was connected! I hope this helps you resolve your issue as well. When it again offered me an update I clicked to update later (meaning never!). Best of luck to you.