06-11-2012 05:53 PM
Have Windows 7 Ultimate and latest version of Desktop Software. Just upgraded to latest version and it still won't work. I am about ready to switch to another brand of smart phone. Have had this problem for over a year and when my ATT contract will allow I will probably buy a (don't want it) iPhone. My phone is not recognized by the software except soon after a new Desktop install. Sync with my Office Outlook address book and calendar is very important to me. Otherwise any phone is OK.
06-11-2012 05:57 PM
Hi and Welcome to the Community!
I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista/Win7, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.
Further, it has also been reported that when your user profile on windows (type 'echo %userprofile%' in the command prompt) contains spaces, then the installer will not work. In order to solve this issue, log out of your Windows account and log back in using the local Administrator account (or any other account name without spaces) and install the desktop (for all users).
1) Remove any/all device OS update package(s) from your PC (add/remove programs)
2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM Desktop Software:
3) Get a fresh download of the RIM Desktop Software:
4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:
5) Install the Desktop Software to your PC
6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package
7) Start the organizer configuration over:
Hopefully that will get things going again.
Good luck and let us know!