Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Desktop Sync Removes Enterprise settings

Hello there.  I work for a company that has an ENterprise server and our email is set up through that system (entering a password for ENterprise edition allows our unit to sync and get my email and keep my address book up to date.

I would like to be able to install the Device Manager software and charge my phone as well as use the media manager to move files and items back and forth, but when I have done this in the past, it causes my phone to lose its settings and then I can no longer get emails.  Help?

Jim

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Desktop Sync Removes Enterprise settings

you don't need the Desktop Manager to move files between your Blackberry and your PC. Just grab the USB drivers for Blackberry.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

I had planned on doing that but only found drivers that were French, Italian, and Spanish drivers, no english.  Do you know where the drivers are for english?

I wouldn't request using desktop but want to be able to use the roxio to convert files to put it on the unit.  It converts quite nicely and just dragging and dropping seems to cause issues.

Guru I

dasgoob wrote:

I had planned on doing that but only found drivers that were French, Italian, and Spanish drivers, no english.  Do you know where the drivers are for english?

Yes, it's easy once you know.
When you get to the downloads section on the Blackberry.com website, instead of selection "usb drivers", select "desktop manager 4.5". You'll get to a page with numerous installers to download, and you'll find... the USD Drivers install, in english. It'll be just a few MB so you won't mistake with the Desktop Manager that is a few hundred MB.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Ah, that is where it is located!  Thank you so much.  That is the ticket!

I wish I could use the media portion of the desktop manager to transfer items and convert movie files, but it seems when I use desktop manager, I end up losing my settings and have to call my IT department to send a new Enterprise password (our company uses an Enterprise server). 

Any clues on that one smart guy? Smiley Happy Smiley Tongue

Thanks for your help. 

Guru I

dasgoob wrote:

I wish I could use the media portion of the desktop manager to transfer items and convert movie files

To convert videos, you can read my other discussion here :

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=General_Functions&message.id=2898

To transfer files, you don't need the Desktop Manager, you can plug your Blackberry on your PC as if it were a simple usb drive. Works fine as well as for MP3 as for JPG or videos.

as far as I see it, the Desktop Manager is here to backup Blackberry datas and to configure the synchronization. For all multimedia matters, you don't have to use it.

New Contributor

OOOOH!  That works so good!

Yeah, I knew I could transfer just regular old files, but to convert video and things like that is what I was really interested in (and losing by not having Desktop Manager).  Now, there is just no need.  Everything I transfer goes on a micro SD card and everything like email addresses, messages, etc, are synced with the BES.  I am good to go!

Thanks a ton.  Drivers loaded and working (really missed having that since I hate to carry extra chargers if it is not necessary) and now AkmeFFmpeg is working for conversion.  THat is a slick, easy to use no frills no confusion program.  The best kind. 

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank You so much!  Bet everything works now.  Smiley Happy

Kate