02-10-2013 02:52 PM
I am running Blackberry Desktop on a machine running Windows 7 64-bit. I'm using Blackberry 7.1 Bundle 1737. I am using Outlook. I don't have an enterprise email.
When I try to synch, it usually works on memos and tasks, fails on address (stalls part way through) or calendar and address. Errors include "Line 131 in .\error.cap", CRTran", "BB storefront", "CPreferensManager Configuruation Value not set in TransConfig.xml". Etc. I did a clean reinstall on the desktop, I wiped the Blackberry, cleaned out all Blackberry entries on drive and regedit, and still problems.
The synch with the same Blackberry and same version of Blackberry Desktop software works fine on laptop (32 bit).
Tried one more time: Did a clean unistall. Deleted "RIM" under my "appdata". Reinstalled using "run as adminsitrator". Ran the program from C:\ with properties as Windows 7. The synch ran for tasks, memos and calendar. However, for addresssess, it stalls at either 1687 or 79 addresses (out of ~4500). It ran fine on the laptop (Windows 7 32 bit).
Another issue: I accidentally set up gmail with "synch". I could not "unsynch" contacts, and had to do a security wipe and reinstall.
Tell me I should still believe in RIM/Blackberry.
02-11-2013 09:51 PM - edited 02-11-2013 09:54 PM
After ages of successfully and happily using Blackberry Desktop 6, I reformatted my system and decided to give the newer 7.0 a whirl. Worst mistake ever. I tried 7.0 and it fouled up my contacts in a horrible way, both in my Outlook and on my phone.
Every few months I give it another shot, most recently with 7.1, and the software is still unintuitively awful compared to 6.10 when it comes to synchronization issues. I shake my head each time and I wonder if quality control is one of the reasons RIM lost so much market share.
My advice is to go back to 6.1 if you can find it on the net. It's always worked reliably for me.
610_b038_multilanguage.exe is what I'm using.