Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Desktop V4.6 and Windows Vista

It appears that Desktop Version 4.6 will not install on a computer running Windows Vista. The most recent Desktop Version that is compatible with Vista is 4.5

Just a heads up prior to frustration Smiley Wink

Sue

New Contributor

Re: Desktop V4.6 and Windows Vista

Oops, too late.  We'll see how it goes.  It's 86% downloaded.

[ Edited ]

I get the message that this is not a valid Win32 application. Even running it as an adminstrator gives the same message. Is this what others are getting?

And frustration I agree..... Why can't it say on the download page? Wasted nearly 2.5 hours od download time (that's with Virgin 10Mb).

Message Edited by dougproctor on 08-23-2008 04:27 PM
New Contributor

Same message I got - not a valid WIN32 application - thought I'd catch you guys before you downloaded - sorry for the waste of time - I downloaded twice - figured the first one was corrupt!Smiley Surprised
Highlighted
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello,

it's just that you're having a 64bit computer, whereas the Desktop manager is compatible with 32bit computers. Not really related with Vista.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Nope - just checked again - I have a 32bit operating system, not 64, so that isn't the solution. Thanks for the try however :-)
Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB Curve 8330C

I checked with BB about the Vista 64 bit OS and the literature stated it was compatible with 64 bit. I haven't yet installed the Desktop. If you're correct then I guess I return the BB because I expected to use it on my Vista Ultimate 64 bit system. Combining everything on a smartphone was my goal/\.

I only discovered that the Palm Centro desktop was not compatible with 64 bit and I returned it and got a BB based on BB's documentation.

Maybe I'll have to go back to dumbphones. Life would be a lot simpler. 64 bit Vista made my Sony digital recorder obsolete that had run great on xp.

Regular Contributor
My Device: BOLD 9700
My Carrier: Etasilat

Hi All

I have just now installed 4.6 on Vista no problems at all...

However; once the installation was over I could see additional ICON "Media file transfer" her is the funny part(to me) after restarting laptop this ICON vanished in thin air...some one has idea how is it possbile..?Smiley Mad

On another note I have no issue with with Sync or else..

MDawood
New Contributor

Finally - it is installed - as long as I installed WITHOUT the added media package, it installed fine. It was when I tried it with the media package that it gave me the error message.

Hope this helps,

Sue

Visitor

new to the bb can i install window xp to my phone