Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Classic SQC100-4
My Carrier: Fido

Desktop manager 4.6 hangs when I click "cancel checking for updates" (Bold / 9000)

...has anyone solved this problem, of the Desktop Manager hanging when canceling the search for updates?

(My system has Microsoft Windows XP Home 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600, in case that matters)

Thanks!

Rick

Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Desktop manager 4.6 hangs when I click "cancel checking for updates" (Bold / 9000)

[ Edited ]

First, what was the reason for cancelling the search? I noticed it took a fairly long time--nearly 10 minutes--to search for and update my DM to 4.7, the current one.

After you restart your computer try again and walk away for a while or just open a browser window and let it run in the background. If it doesn't produce results in 10 minutes then you have some sort of conflict that no one on here can resolve for you.

Or you could try to download the new DM from this link:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

--------------------------------------------------------

Message Edited by AJ_Franklin on 03-23-2009 05:10 PM
If I earn your KUDOS please don't hesitate to click on the STAR in the black field below.
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Classic SQC100-4
My Carrier: Fido

Re: Desktop manager 4.6 hangs when I click "cancel checking for updates" (Bold / 9000)

[ Edited ]

Hi AJ,

It takes a long time for the system to search for updates and give the results.

So far, each time it has only let me know that the same two or three languages I do not use or have on my phone are available for update.

The desktop manager only hangs when I try to cancel the process by clicking the "cancel" button.

I cancel the search because I don't want to wait 10 minutes or so before the synch can even get started. I just want my info to be up to date quickly, usually because I am on the way out the door...

I have found one tactic which seems to avoid the checking for updates, and that is to leave the desktop manager open to "Synchronize" rather than at the main screen, but then the feature of synching automatically when the Bold is plugged in is lost.

One good solution would be to make the "cancel" button work without hanging the desktop manager.

Another useful (and hopefully not mutually exclusive ;-) solution would be to have a way to prevent the automatic check for updates. Is there a way to do that?

Does either of these solutions (or something better) appear in version 4.7?

- thanks for your help!

Rick

Message Edited by rickn on 03-23-2009 07:52 PM