Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Desktop manager doesn't recognize new software

I have a bold 9900 which is currently running 7.1 bundle 2108 (7.1.0.746).

I downloaded a more recent release, to be exact 9900M_PBr7.1.0_rel2435_PL5.1.0.622_A7.1.0.862_AT_T.exe which should be 7.1 bundle 2435 (7.1.0.862) . I then installed the software without any issue.

However when I plug my device in, there is no upgrade option available.

I am guessing that the desktop software is either not finding the software, or for some reason believes that it is not for a 9900... The previous os was from a different carrier, but that shouldn't matter right?

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Desktop manager doesn't recognize new software

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

dcorrin wrote:

The previous os was from a different carrier, but that shouldn't matter right?

It might. What actually matters is the hardcoded VendorID of your BB when compared to the carrier from which the OS package came. For example, if your BB has VendorID of any carrier other than ATT, then that package you downloaded would be ignored by the Desktop Software unless you do the proper trick of deleting, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

When an installed OS package is ignored by the Desktop Software, one of the following usually applies:

• The Vendor.XML file(s) were not deleted when necessary
  • The package is for a different model number BB (I do not know, for example, if your 9900 and the OS package for "9900M" would be recognized as a match)
  • There is no OS package installed to the PC
  • There is more than one OS package installed to the PC
  • The installed OS package is an exact and identical match to what is already running on the BB

Those are the normal reasons an OS package would be ignored...and you can always tell rather quickly since, right when you load up the Desktop Software and connect your BB, you will be immediately offered the updated OS without having to make any selections in the Desktop Software at all.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................