Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Desktop manager icons not working

i've tried both DM v4.6 and v5.0 on xp pro, sp3....

everything appears to install fine, software recognizes the device (shows connected, etc....) but double-clicking on the icons for any of the options does absolutely nothing.

has anybody had this issue before and if so, what was the fix? 

thanks!

Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Desktop manager icons not working

rickmontana wrote: but double-clicking on the icons for any of the options

Which icons do you refer to--the Desktop Manager icon on your PC desktop screen, or the icons IN the Desktop Manager application for Sitch Device Wizard, Backup, Synchronize, etc.?

Is your BlackBerry connected to a USB cable at the time?

In the Desktop Manager application, lower left of the program, do you see your PIN number as the connected to?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

The icons within the Desktop Manager are not working (media, app loader, sync, etc).  When hovering over them, the pointer changes to a hand, the area around the icon/option is highlighted, but double-clicking or pressing ENTER does nothing - same results whether device is connected or not.

I see nothing in lower left of Desktop Manager regarding PIN when the device is connected, althought the title bar changes from disconnected/working/connected when the device is connected.  The device manager in system tray does show USB-PIN:###### when connected..

Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Rick, try this:

Disconnect your BlackBerry from the USB.

Reboot your PC from off.

After the PC is backup, connect your USB (from a main REAR USB port--not a USB hub, or front PC port), to the BlackBerry. Give it a minute.

Then, open Desktop Manager. Allow it to connect. Do you see the Connected PIN at the lower left?

What version of DM do you have?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

No luck.  Same thing.  Version 5.  the only thing that works is the Check For Updates link.  I've installed the same thing on a laptop and it works - i can double-click on the Desktop Manager icons and it'll open up the next screen - whether connected or not.
New Contributor

renamed my profile on the machine and logged in to get new profile.  it works now.  i see the PIN number in the lower left as well as the Options and Help on the top right.  none of that was there before.  all icons within the DM now work.  thanks for your time.

Highlighted

I had the exact same problem. Can you be more specific in how you solved the problem? Did you re-name your Windows user account? What do you mean you "logged in to get new profile?" Really frustrated and need to get my contacts synced!

Thanks!

New Contributor

I shutdown the PC, logged in as administrator, then renamed my profile   c:\documents and settings\myusername to c:\documents and settings\myusernameold.

i then logged out and logged back in as myself to recreate the c:\documents and settings\myusername profile

after that everything worked fine.....  hope this helps....

My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: Etisalat

I have the same problem as rick .... but his solution didnt work ... how do i fix this problem??

DM is v5.0.1 and it says connected but i cannot open any of the icons in it ... my phone is a BB Bold 9700