Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook
My Carrier: O2 (UK)
Accepted Solution

Desktop manager won't recognise my carrier's latest firmware download

[ Edited ]

Dear all,

I have a Bold 9000 on the o2 (UK) network running on 4.6.0.303.  I noticed that on my carrier's dedicated download page on blackberry.com that v5.0 is finally being offered for the Bold 9000.  I have subsequently downloaded it and installed it, yet the desktop manager fails to recognise it and only offers 4.6 for my Bold.  Likewise when I try software update within desktop manager it tells me that my device is up to date.  I have never 'tampered' with the original firmware or files and only ever previously used desktop manager to install firmware updates.

I've been waiting for ages for my network to offer the new firmware so it's frustrating that now it's appeared, I can't actually do anything with it.  All help / advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Duncan in London

Solutions: 6,358
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Desktop manager won't recognise my carrier's latest firmware download

Duncan, Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.

You've already located form your carrier, downloaded and installed the OS to your PC?

Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion.

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Regular Contributor

Hi there, many thanks for your warm welcome and  very rapid response!  Yes I've downloaded and installed the software but I have one question in regards to the vendor.xml file.  By deleting this, do I invalidate my vendor warranty too?  And would you be able to explain why the vendor's own file doesn't work without taking the step of deleting the file?

Many thanks again for your help Smiley Happy

No, it won't invalidate any warranty. I routinely remove that file now, but you can leave it since you'll be using your own carrier's OS version.

Anyway, try using the Loader.exe file...

Do you have the BlackBerry Data Plan on your mobile provider account?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

Hi there,

Yes I'm on my carrier's BB data plan and have previously been able to upgrade the firmware automatically.  I'm beginning to wonder now whether there might actually be a fault with the whole firmware package they've posted on their dedicated RIM download page given that someone on the same carrier appears to have posted a similar query.

Incidentally, I should have mentioned that when I first downloaded the new firmware that desktop manager said new firmware was available... and then went on to offer 4.6 (even though labelled as v5.0), on the website

Your thoughts appreciated Smiley Happy

duncand wrote:

Incidentally, I should have mentioned that when I first downloaded the new firmware that desktop manager said new firmware was available... and then went on to offer 4.6 (even though labelled as v5.0), on the website

I have no ideas about that. Never tried that OS release. It's been years since I installed my own carrier's OS release on my BlackBerrys (all different models).

Some users might worry they will void their device warranty by loading an OS from another carrier. There is really nothing to worry about.

Please read more information on that here:
http://www.port3101.org/power-users/296-blackberry-os-upgrade-including-betas-myths-dispelled.html

Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

Just out of interest, when v5.0 bundle installs, it installs here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9000M_v5.0.0.592_P5.2.0.57

This is of course a different directory to the apploader directory.

duncand wrote:

Just out of interest, when v5.0 bundle installs, it installs here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9000M_v5.0.0.592_P5.2.0.57

This is of course a different directory to the apploader directory.

That is exactly where it should install to.

Your loader.exe file will be at ... Research In Motion\AppLoader

Knowledge Base Updates
Regular Contributor

Well full kudos to you.  It looks as if my vendor / RIM failed to include an updated vendor file... I moved it out of the directory and of course I was offered v5.0 immediately!... Now of course... the flakiness of the installation process and I"m getting repeated... application loader failure to connect to blackberry device at the 'connecting to boot rom' phase.

any further suggestions would be gratefully received

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Stop what you're doing.

Did you do a back up of your device and data first?

I am about to head to dinner, and won't be around. If you didn't do the backup (see my instruction to) do it now. Cancel the process and backup using Desktop Manager.

After that is done, disconnect and close DM.

Now, reboot your BlackBerry >> With the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot.

Now, proceed with the directions above to install the OS. If you get that same error again about connecting to ROM, read this and follow the directions:

KB19996 "App Error 205 Reset" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone

Now, once complete, you might have lost your device data (contacts, etc), but you've got a backup to restore from... Desktop Manager > Backup/Restore

Knowledge Base Updates