Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Desktop software issues for non profit org - please help

Blackberry Curve (why, oh why, please for the love of god will someone tell me why the model name is not ON the **bleep** device?) on the TMobile Network.

Windows XP with Desktop Manager 4.6 syncing to Outlook 2007 desktop exchange profile.

Here are the problems:

1.  The desktop manager is not starting on startup, and I see no option within the software to make it do so.

2.  The software is not actively syncing the device while it is connected.  Example:  the device is connected, I add an entry in outlook, it does not sync to handheld until I manually push the sync button (or unplug and replug the device)

3.  The device scans ALL entries every time it syncs or is plugged in.  It takes minutes.  Then it continually 'changes' the same **bleep** 13 items every time (along with any other changes I make... but always these same 13 items no matter what I do)

Between trying to get the email to work on these things, to the track ball wonking out on some of them, to this problem... this has been one heck of a frustrating experiencing.

Here is what I need these devices to do for me in order to continue supporting them in my organization.

I need the sync software to be active on Windows start up, I need it to recognize when the device is attached, and I need it  to actively sync ONLY the changed or altered items while it is sync'd.  NOT just when it is initially plugged in.

Is this possible?  Any ideas?

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Desktop software issues for non profit org - please help

1. You can either drag the desktop manager into your startup folder or you can modify the current installation by doing to following:
    Go into Add/Remove Programs. Find the "BlackBerry Desktop Software" and hit the Change/Remove button.
    Select Modify.
    Select the BlackBerry Desktop Software
    Keep going through the wizard
    On the last step, BEFORE hitting Install, check the box that says to start the Desktop Manager each time the computer starts

During the initial installation if you leave the above box checked the program will start when your computer starts

2. That automatic sync option will only take affect when the device is initially plugged in. That doesn't mean a continuous sync. If your company has a BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) then you're get real-time synchronization without having to connect the device.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Contributor

Thank you for #1!

Re:  #2..... well, crud.  This is a real bummer.  All of the other devices my employees have tried have this feature.  Without it, this means they have to plug/unplug or press sync BEFORE disconnecting for the day if they want their device to be up to date.  Very inconvenient.

BES is not an option for us due to the extreme price.

Any idea on #3?  The other two we can... maybe... live.  But #3 is the deal killer right now.  

Developer
My Device: 9000

Hi...

Are you on BES or BIS with your exchange setup?

You should be able to sync wirelessly everything if your on 2007 Exchange...

Or are you just sync'ing the devices to the desktop Outlook?

H.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If successful in helping you, please give me kudos in my post.
Please mark the post that solved it for you!
Thank you!
Best Regards

hmeister
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome to the forums

NotforProfit wrote:

Here are the problems:

1.  The desktop manager is not starting on startup, and I see no option within the software to make it do so.

1)  There was an option in the setup towards the end to startup on Windows startup. You can add it to the startup by copying the Desktop Icon to the startup file.

2.  The software is not actively syncing the device while it is connected.  Example:  the device is connected, I add an entry in outlook, it does not sync to handheld until I manually push the sync button (or unplug and replug the device)

2)  The Desktop software syncs like a "batch job" used to. It doesn't "sync"on the fly" it's designed to sync the information that has

been entered earlier. The sync process does not start until you in fact hit the button. 

3.  The device scans ALL entries every time it syncs or is plugged in.  It takes minutes.  Then it continually 'changes' the same **bleep** 13 items every time (along with any other changes I make... But always these same 13 items no matter what I do)

3) The Desktop software reads all items on both devices as it would have no idea which is just pertinent since the last scan.

The thirteen items, have you accepted the changes? It will ask about all changes you have made.

Between trying to get the email to work on these things, to the track ball wonking out on some of them, to this problem... This has been one heck of a frustrating experiencing.

4) What email problems are you having?   Define "Trackball wonking"  I know what wonking is, I just need to know how the trackball is doing it Smiley Happy

Here is what I need these devices to do for me in order to continue supporting them in my organization.

I need the sync software to be active on Windows start up, I need it to recognize when the device is attached, and I need it  to actively sync ONLY the changed or altered items while it is synced.  NOT just when it is initially plugged in.

Is this possible?  Any ideas?

Let me know about the email and the Trackball

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor

Thanks for the replies!

As to #3.  I was really hoping the device and the software would keep track of changes since LAST SYNC and only update those... instead of scanning the entire device every single time.  I just assumed this was standard on these types of devices.

The 13 changes that appear every single time we sync this particular device will not go away no matter what I do.  I've accepted them, I've rejected them.  I've cleared the device's DB and tried again.  I cant delete them cause I need them.  I just want them to stop re-syncing every single time I run a sync.

Some additional info:

BES or BIS?:  We use an exchange server for our email, but we do not use BES (due to the cost)... so wireless syncing of PIM data is not an option for us. 

Email problems:  It took me 2 days of straight work, literally, just to get the email to sync wirelessly without issues.  Without BES I ran into all sorts of duplicate/read/unread/messageID issues.  These support forums are full of others having the same issue so I didn't feel too alone.  We tried POP, IMAP and finally stumbled upon the ability to connect via OWA.  While awkward and prone to bugs, this is the best solution we've found. 

The problem is that BIS doesnt play well with exchange 2007.

Trackball problems:  Same problems you get with trackball mice.  Skipping, not spinning smooth, getting stuck, spinning without cursor movement.  I was shocked to see blackberry went all centipede on these new models and was wondering if it would cause problems... well, with the 5 devices I'm trying to set up this weekend at least - yes, is the answer to that question.  There is a reason everyone moved to optical mice.  Smiley Wink

Guru I

Is there anything we can help you with further?

If not please resolve the post.

Thanks

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bifocals wrote:

Is there anything we can help you with further?

If not please resolve the post.

Thanks

Heh, it sounds like you would need to be able to re-develop the software or re-manufacturer the device in order to resolve my biggest problems Smiley Wink

Oh well, I will have to learn to live with those short comings or talk my users into other devices.

However, I do still need help with this:  The 13 changes that appear every single time we sync this particular device will not go away no matter what I do.  I've accepted them, I've rejected them.  I've cleared the device's DB and tried again.  I cant delete them cause I need them.  I just want them to stop re-syncing every single time I run a sync.

Message Edited by Nonprofit on 10-26-2008 11:11 PM
Guru I

[ Edited ]

Does the thirteen have pictures associated with the contacts?

and which way are they going to the desktop or to the device?

Thanks

Message Edited by Bifocals on 10-26-2008 11:13 PM

Contributor

No pics.

Hold on a sec, I am re-sync'ing right now and will take note of the direction.... this takes like 5 minutes.  Is this really how long it should take?  I just still find that hard to believe.

Ok, done.  The changes are from device to desktop.  Ive tried deleting them on the device... they then resync with the desktop, and then get stuck in this loop again.