Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 8800
Accepted Solution

Device Software 4.5 - Bluetooth Protocol??

I would like to find out if my 8800 with v 4.5 supports Bluetooth Protocol version 2.0.  Here's why:

I have a Ford vehicle with Sync, which allows me to pair the phone with the car for handsfree interaction, etc.  The phonebook is downloaded to the car and I can either scroll through the phonebook on the car's display or make a call via voice commands.  I had the most recent Sync update downloaded to the car about a month or so ago - the phonebook was fully accessible before this upgrade, but now I get a message that my phonebook is "not available".  In  Bluetooth Options on the device, "Address Book Transfer" is set to "All Entries" (I receive a "Download Successful" message when the download is completed).  

I contacted Sync customer service (*cough*) - they told me that the new update uses the more strict Bluetooth Protocol version 2.  If my device doesn't support v2, that's the reason for my phonebook issue.  

How can I find out what version is supported, and is there any other setting on my device I need to check?   

Thanks! 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Device Software 4.5 - Bluetooth Protocol??

Here's a link to the product spec pages...hopefully you can find what you need in there.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/blackberry8800/

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Thanks, but I've already checked the device software and device details - nothing specific on Bluetooth protocol.  
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Well, if I had to guess, I'd say that the version of BT is a hardware question rather than OS controllable. If the device has a BT 2.0 radio, then it has it. If not, then not. But perhaps someone else will have a more definitive answer for you.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

it's easy. Go to the blackBerry.com website, and use the "compare devices" feature.
and compare your device with the two last devices : Bold and 8900.

it brings you here :
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/compare/product-attr-compare.jsp?products=946&products=1528&pro...

check the "voice input/output" and you'll see that the 8800 does not support Bluetooth 2.0.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Guru I

sdgardne wrote:
Well, if I had to guess, I'd say that the version of BT is a hardware question rather than OS controllable. If the device has a BT 2.0 radio, then it has it. If not, then not. But perhaps someone else will have a more definitive answer for you.
well, sometimes a device has a feature available on the hardware side, but blocked on the software side. that is the case with the Apple iPhone 3G, for which Stereo Bluetooth has been blocked (for performance reasons) and will be unblocked with OS 3.0 (so they say).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Bummer.  If I'd known, I wouldn't have installed the update - I use the phonebook so much more than I use the other features the update provides.

Thanks very much for your help. 

Guru I

ask your car support if there is any way to downgrade to the previous version.

Contributor

That's my plan.  It's very strange, though, that phonebook transfer was still working fine just after the car system was upgraded.  It was not until I updated the BB with the new device software that I started having this issue.   
Highlighted
Guru I

oh, then it may be a different issue. When you do an OS upgrade on your BlackBerry device, you sometimes lose some of your configuration. Try setting the Bluetooth entirely again (with the pairing and all).