Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Device Software upgrade for AT&T OS 4.5 for Blackberry Curve 8310 Device

sarge454 : the device is a Blackberry one, but the OS does not come from Blackberry. Blckberry gives every carrier a pre-OS that is then enhanced or reduced by the carrier. What you are saying is like saying "I have an XBOX so I don't need Rockstar ! I want GTA4 from Microsoft". You just won't because that's not the way things work.

saying things differently : you are hooked with your carrier. If Sprint says "you can have a Blackberry, but I have blocked MMS", then you have to bear with Sprint. It's not a Blackberry problem and still it's Blackberry that first allowed your device to handle MMS.

now, nearer to your problem : Vodaphone Germany released the 4.5 OS about a month ago. AT&T did not as of october 2nd. You can't blame RIM for that..

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Its an opinion, NOT FACT!!! All i want to know is what Nuangel1 did to change his pic's so it wont lock up my phone? Do you have any insite to this problem?
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi Sarge,

Although I think it would be better to address this in another thread, since you asked the question.

I've seen multiple posts on this. JSanders sent this post addressing this issue, it's very good and

it provides a good solution, As to why this occurs upon upgrade, I haven't seen any tech specs posted.

Thanks,

http://www.blackberryforums.com/media-center/140457-fix-media-player-not-scanning-music-stuck-scan-c...

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310

I finally dowloaded the Vodaphone version of 4.5 OS, deleted the vendor file and installed it.  Works like a charm.  It is very nice, too, I might add.  The only thing I had to do was get my service books resent.  I am very happy with it.

Contributor

I agree that its not the fault of RIM at all, but on the same note, I bought my BB in May and was told I would have 8gb support under the new OS very soon.  Months later and I'm still waiting for the full potential of my BB.  Cingular needs to pick their game up and release it already.  I'm probably going to upgrade to the vodaphone version soon, i'm sick and tired of waiting, and all the hype of a September release led to absolutely nothing.
Contributor

I agree completely.  I was a little nervous about doing it, but crackberry had a great turorial.  It's definitely worth it.  And I was surprised how much more free space I have.  Very nice.

Contributor

[ Edited ]
i talked to at&t and was told the 4.5 os will be released before the end of the year. great. when i bought my 8310 i was told it would be 30 days or less. then they said sept.15 now the end of the year to meet the new phones that come with it installed. makes no sense to me. they also told me if you download any other 4.5 os  they will not support your phone anymore. why is it all the other carriers have released it but not at&t. just makes you go  HUMMMMMMM
Message Edited by marcus39 on 10-07-2008 02:33 PM
Highlighted
Contributor

[ Edited ]
i had a conversation with a supervisor for the advanced network systems at at&t about the 4.5 os for the bb 8310. there are no release dates as of now. they claim to working out the bugs .  i dont how the other carriers can get it out and at&t cant . i understand being thorough but! he promised to keep me updated via email. i will post info as i get it. one thing for sure do not download another carriers os, at&t with not support the phone if it developes problems.
Message Edited by marcus39 on 11-14-2008 08:02 AM