Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: tour

Device Switch Wizard

I just purchased a Blackberry Tour.  I used to have a palm treo 755p.  I installed that desktop software that came with the Blackberry and tried to use the Device Switch Wizard to transfer my data from the palm to the blackberry. 

When I click on device switch wizard, I get to the next screen which asks if I am transferring from Blackberry to Blackberry or Blackberry to another device like Palm.  I click on the second option and the "welcome to migration" screen pops up.  It asks me to make sure both devices are connected to the computer, which they are.

Then I click next and it asks me to select which software I want to transfer from: palm / treo or windows mobile, but the screen will not allow me to select either option.  Then I end up canceling.

I tried repairing the software, removing and reinstalling the software, etc. and cannot get this screen to work so that I can even select the correct device from which to transfer the data.

Can anybody help with this?

Thank you.

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Device Switch Wizard

Hi!  I had the same problem with my new Blackberry.  I was trying to switch from a Palm Centro -- same exact problem as you.  I spoke with a Blackberry support rep who told me the following:

PALM DESKTOP 6.2  (which is the newest version & the only one available for download on the Palm website) is NOT compatible with RIM Blackberry software, so it's not recognized.  You must instead install PALM DESKTOP 6.0 or 4.1 or any OLD version.  So I downloaded version 4.1 from the following website:  http://hotsync-4-1-0-palm-desktop-4-1-4.en.softonic.com/palm

Then sync your old phone to make sure all the data is current, & try the Device Swtiching program again.

Worked like a charm!!

Hope this helps!  :-)  Good luck & have fun!

-- Lynn

Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8300

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The Device Transfer wizard will only assist in swapping between Blackberry Devices to other BB devices..

The BB Desktop manager reads info from the Outlook MAPI profile. As such you need to get the information from your other phone into Outlook so the BB software can read it and sync it with the BB phone.

Try the Palm software as that is the only way your going to be able to transfer it out to your PC...

Message Edited by OzBBerry42 on 08-18-2009 09:08 AM

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq
Highlighted
New Contributor

I tried this without success.  It is the classic catch 22.  Would not allow me to download the older version of Palm desktop because I had 6.2 already installed.  Deleted that, then downloaded 4.1.  Now centro won't synce with the older version.

What am I missing?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

maherjkm wrote:

I tried this without success.  It is the classic catch 22.  Would not allow me to download the older version of Palm desktop because I had 6.2 already installed.  Deleted that, then downloaded 4.1.  Now centro won't synce with the older version.

What am I missing?

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

First -- a little correction to a post above...the Device Switch Wizard will assist with switching from many non BB SmartPhones over to a BB. Not all, but many...see this KB for compatibility information:

• KB05459 How to use the Switch Device Wizard to switch from another smartphone to a BlackBerry smartphone

For your situation, you may well be in a difficult situation...if your centro is not compatible with the Palm desktop version that DTM is compatible with, then that is indeed a catch22. What you can do, however, is to use your Palm desktop to export all of your data to CSV or ASCII files -- and then use the DTM software to import that into your BB. See these KBs:

• KB11194 How to import contacts from an CSV file to the BlackBerry device
  • KB04312 Create and synchronize with an ASCII export file

Mind you, I've never attempted it myself...but the theory seems correct, though you may have to interpolate from the KBs to find the precise things you need.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks.  This is what I finally figured out.

1. Export CSV files from Palm to PC.

2. Import CSV files from PC to Yahoo contacts.

3. Import CSV from Yahoo to BB.

It was a pain, but better than retyping.  Cound not get anything to work with ASCII