Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Device Unlock Password Problem!

Hey all. I password protect my BB Tour so that I don't accidently pocket dial someone while it's in my pocket. I know what my password is as I haven't changed it ever.

I connected it to my computer to see if there were any updates avail for it, and it asked me to enter my password. At that time, I didn't realize that the password it wanted was the one I used to unlock the device, so I tried a few that I thought might be the right ones. They didn't work obviously. So, I unplugged my phone as had to leave for work. It was at this point that I realized it wanted the password I use all day long. But when I went to enter it, I noticed that instead being defaulted to numerical, it was abc. So I hit alt shift and locked the number pad and typed in my pwd (which is a numerical sequence). That didn't work. So I tried again.. no dice! Now I am on my FINAL ATTEMPT or I risk losing all my info! I'm pretty sure I have a backup at home, but I don't want to have to deal with a phone wipe.

So my question is.... are the brains scrambled here, (rather than locking it to numerical type, which I don't normally have to do by default) and instead are flip flopped,  should I just type in the numbers and let it show me letters and hit enter?? I only have one shot at this!!! But I know for a fact that my pwd hasn't changed, and that I entering the right one.

Thanks!
Jason

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Device Unlock Password Problem!

[ Edited ]

SOLUTION:

I managed to get into my phone on the final attempt... but what I thought was going on, wasn't the case. As explaing to me in another forum, when a person creates their password for the first time... the rules of the keyboard still apply. Many people like myself, assume for some reason that the pwd they are inputting is numerical. Probably because on non-smartphones when you enter a pwd, like for voicemail or somethign, it defaults to numerical without having to use a modifier key. But this is not the case unless they first hit alt/shift to numberlock the keyboard when creating their password for the first time. So, if you think you are typing in '1234', you are actually typing in 'wers', UNLESS you first hit alt/shift and type in 1234. At that point, it's for sure numerical. If you don't use the alt or shift keys, you are actually typing lower case letters.

I tested this theory by changing my password from what I thought was 1234 (but was actually wers), and upon creating the new pwd, i hit alt/shift (which doesn't count as a keystroke!) which locked the number pad, and then typed in 1234. I did this twice and the new pwd was set. I then locked my phone and then tried to unlock it. I tried typing just 1234 and it didn't work. I then [I]number locked[/I] the keyboard by selecting alt/shift, typed in 1234, and it worked! So again, the rules of the keyboard ALWAYS APPLY in all situations.

Hope this is helpful. Someone should make this a sticky, because this problem is rampant and many people are under the same impression that I was... that when they create a password it's numerical by default. But that is not the case unless you use modifier keys!