Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: BTC

Device Versions - 4G and Hotspots

I have the Bold 9900 and HAD an older version of OS7.1 (7.1.0.523)

Just upgeaded to 7.1.0.714

Here is my problem ... I use the 9900 to get a Hotspot in the Bahamas - BTC is my provider

my friend there has the 9900 and is using OS 7.1  ... but when you go to his About Device Versions he has several differences than mine:

My 9900 shows                                                          His Shows

1.) 3G, Wifi                                                                   3G/4G, Wifi

2.) 3G Bands 1,4,8                                                     3G/4G Bands 1,2,5,6

3.) Mobile Radio Version 5.0.2.1.1, SV 4-8            Cellular Radio Version 5.0.2.1.1, SV 42

When I updated my OS there was no changes in the above settings???

The problem is when using our BOLD as a Hotspot he gets blazing download speeds at the same locations - mine are very slow - I can not even open a web page ....

He shows 4G on the Top Right of his Screen - I only show EDGE

Both Show the same signal strength bars.

The question is ... after updating the OS ... there was no change in the above settings ...

How can I get the 9900 to recognize the 4G network 

Surely this is not a hardware/firmware difference???

Any help or suggestions before I go back over to the island, please pass it on.

Blue Skies and Waters ... LE

Blackberry 9900 BOLD
OS7.1 Bundle 2061
(v7.1.0.714, Platform 5.1.0532)
3G Bands 1,4,8
Provider - BTC - Bahamas
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: BTC

Re: Device Versions - 4G and Hotspots

No answers / suggestions to this post so .... does any one know if  ......

Is there any hardware difference inside the Bold 9900 depnding on the provider???

Could this be the problem???? 

Thanks .... LE

Blackberry 9900 BOLD
OS7.1 Bundle 2061
(v7.1.0.714, Platform 5.1.0532)
3G Bands 1,4,8
Provider - BTC - Bahamas
Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Device Versions - 4G and Hotspots

Hello,

Actually, you had the right idea:

Loneeagleswa wrote:

Surely this is not a hardware/firmware difference???

With several models, even though they are the same model number, their internal physical radios are different. And no amount of OS or software can change what the physical radio is capable of. So, from what you've provided, I can only deduce that your device is not 4G capable while your friends is.

This is an irritating bit about device model numbers...I've always wished that they were the same specifications internally for the exact same model number. But, alas they are not. And this seems to be at the root of the issues you are experiencing. And there simply is nothing you can do (short of replacement!) with your device to make it do something that is physically is not capable of.

Good luck!

If it's any consolation, with the Z10, there is one base model number, but four (yes, 4!!) different versions.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................