Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Curve 3G
My Carrier: Airtel

Device asking for MEP code

Hello

i am using a curve 3G device over network of Airtel in India.

Today just to try i put another sim of some other network, a message popped up that you need to unlock you sim , if you want to unlock press yes. I pressed yes. Then it ask me for MEP code....i tried some default codes that i knew, at the beginning it says 10 attempts left, i tried 4 times and i droped the idea of trying more and reinsert my original sim , but its locked now.....showing no network coverage.....!!

Please help me out. Tell me what is this MEP code and from where couldi get it. will it solve my problem by putting MEP code or i am required to do something elso too.....My device is under warrenty . Should i take it to service centre??

Thanks in advance...

Regards

Vriti Narayan Bohra

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Device asking for MEP code

Your 9300 is locked to the network of the company to which it is branded and sold, probably Airtel.

So, when you inserted the SIM from another network, it asked you for the unlocking MEP code in order to use that other network SIM card. You have ten tries and after ten tries it is locked to the original network, probably Airtel.

So, put your Airtel SIM card back in and you should be fine.

Check the Manage Connections screen to make sure your mobile network is ON , or checked.

If you need instructions on how to unlock your BlackBerry for use on a
carrier other than the one to which it is branded, check out BlackBerry
Unlocks

and read this link for instructions.

After the ten wrong MEP code attempts have been used, you must get RIM to unlock the device.

There are two routes, and only two, to achieve this.

* IF your device is in warranty, contact your service provider technical support. Tell them you have this issue which needs to be escalated to RIM level customer support. I'll warn you that most carrier technical support people will first assume and think you are referring to a device security unlock, and you will need to convince them otherwise and explain clearly what you need. THEY will not be able to help you because the carriers themselves cannot unlock a device which has had the MEP code attempts depleted, and should (and you will need to ask) to have the case escalated to RIM level tech support.
* If your device is out of warranty, contact RIM direct. See the Contact Us information from the website: http://ca.blackberry.com/contact/ The options you want to select to speak to BlackBerry Customer Care are 3 (for inquiries, orders, billing, e-RMA etc) then 5 (e-RMA and Out of Warranty).

Make sense? Good luck.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

The MEP code is also known as an unlock code. To get a code for your device, you will need to get a code from an unlocking service. The only catch is that now that you have used up 4 codes, you will want to be 100% certain that you enter the correct code. If you enter the incorrect code 10 times, your phone will be permanently locked to the original carrier that the phone came from and you will have a difficult time getting that resolved.

A couple of well respected unlocking services include Horizon Wireless and BerryReview's unlock store.

Horizon Wireless can be found at: http://www.horizonwirelessonline.com/cat/

BerryReview's unlocking service can be found at: http://unlock.berryreview.com/

You can try other sites, but you will want to make sure they are respectable so that you get a code that will actually work.

Follow each sites' instructions on how to provide your IMEI, double check that you have listed the IMEI # correctly to ensure that they send you the correct code, then follow their instructions on how to unlock the device. Once that has been done, you can use any SIM card from any carrier in the device.

Good luck and I hope this info helps!

EDIT:  Apparently I took too long to post.  Smiley Tongue  Beat by JSanders!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Krypto wrote:

EDIT:  Apparently I took too long to post.  Smiley Tongue  Beat by JSanders!

And your info was spot on, regardless!

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates

Thanks JSanders for the reply.
But as i already mentioned, i put back the regular sim i.e. of Airtel back , this time its not asking for any MEP code but its not working at the same time.....network is all gone and while is check for network selection it says " Scan for network failed, please try later."

Thanks Krypto for the reply, its very quick indeed Smiley Happy
But wht i am looking for right now is to get my device working back , will figure out the unlocking part later on .
Should i try security wipe for getting it back or their are any other settings which could make things working back.
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

You can try a security wipe and that might get you back up and running for now, but I'm not sure as I haven't seen that before. If that doesn't work, I would definitely take the device into your carrier for further assistance.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Agreed.

You can always just reboot the device first, leaving it powered ON, remove the battery for a minute, replace and allow for device to power up.

Does it regain the network connection now?

Knowledge Base Updates

Is their anything like restore factory settings kind of thing to make all the settings back to the way they were at the time of purchase or something.........???

Security wipe did the job for me.........thanks a lot folks for helping me out.