Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9900
My Carrier: Airtel

Device does not allow me to set new password .

Hi,

There has been an issue while setting a password policy . As per the security policy the minimum password length requirement is 6 . There is an another option to set Required Password Pattern which is cvCn(4 characters).When i try to set a newpassword with 4 and 6 my blackberry does not accept any of the policy.

Now the user is deleted on the server , still the password prompt is present and not letting me to use my blackberry.

Can any one help me how to hard reset my blackberry with out entering the blackberry .

Forums Advisor III
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Bharti-Airtel

Re: Device does not allow me to set new password .

Hi Dilip,

First of all take complete backup using Blackberry desktop manager, then perform a security wipe. Restore the data and observe.

Please revert for further assistance..

Contributor

how shall i master reset the blackberry...it does not allow me to go inside the settings.

Forums Advisor III

Thanks for your input..!!

Is it asking for password or due to backend policy ? Is any password enabled to Lock device ?

Contributor

thanks for the efforts.....i have found the answer for this issue.. the BES manager do over write the priority on the password it is the password pattern which wins over the password length and the characters should be repeated in the same password.
Forums Advisor III

Thats fine but how does policy can be implemneted on user, which has been deleted from server. As per the previous post you mentioned user has been deleted  from server.

Contributor

yes .. the security policies already sent to the device are stored on the device .... even though the user is deleted the policies remain on the device .But the user can deactivate the policies after user is deleted from the server.
Forums Advisor III

Thanks for your inputs..!!

Security policies already sent to device are stored in device --- Correct

User can delete the policy remain on device -- Correct

User can deactivate the policies after got deleted from server - Correct

But in your first post you mention User deleted from server and as a solution you mentioned changes in policy can sort out this.

But as per your first post, where user got deleted then this can't be the solution. But yes it can be a solution for those users who are not yet deleted and in future, they may use the benefite of this policy, if tehy got deleted.

Hope you understand my point, coz you and me now understand what exactly is but suppose any other person will search for this issue later after 6 months, then if he finds the same query as you posted in first one, and use the solution as you mentioned, will not actually resolve the issue coz..he already deleted the user and later on change in policy will not work for him.

Contributor

i have tried multiple probabilities like wiping , deleting user and deleting device from the user.

Eventually the user account has only been the medium to push the policies to set the blackberry some restriction .

All the security policies will be be intact with the device even after the user is deleted from the server or wipe the device manually. The firmware is been designed in such a way where when the password policy can be disabled manually from settings by entering the old password.
Contributor

In the first post i mentioned a case where a conflict between password length and password pattern occurs.

Now stating this , only the last character can have multiple characters 1, 2, 3...... of the password pattern. for example.

Scenario 1
1. Set a password policy on the BESX server.
2. Let the new password criteria be as the below mentioned
Password length : 6 characters
Password Age : 1 day
Password History : 1
Password complexity : 1 alpha and 1 numeric
Password Pattern : cvCn (4 characters)
3. Now on the device accept the policy and set a new password. As per the above restrictions the suggestion password which are valid and accepted by the blackberry are as follows.
a. paP1 ( too short as per the IT rule)
b. pswaT1( does not match the password pattern)
c. paeioT123( does not match the password pattern)
d. paRTH123 ( does not match the password pattern)
e. paP123 ( accepted)
f. wiF234( accepted )

Scenario 2
1. Set a password policy on the BESX server.
2. Let the new password criteria be as the below mentioned
Password length : 6 characters
Password Age : 1 day
Password History : 1
Password complexity : 1 alpha and 1 numeric
Password Pattern : cCVvnsVcvC (10 characters)
3. Now on the device accept the policy and set a new password. As per the above restrictions the suggestion password which are valid and accepted by the blackberry are as follows.
1. pHOi1@UjeP( accepted)
2. pswaT1( too short for password)
3. pHUi1@UjeP( does not match the password pattern)
4. paRTH123 ( does not match the password pattern)