Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: O2

Device driver software was not successfully installed

Background:- I cannot connect my Curve 9360 to my laptop.  I am in the process of switching from a 9860 and trialled a 9360 10 days ago which connected a treat.  I had to return the 9360, go back to the 9860, until my final replacement arrived yesterday.  Because I was unable to connect the new phone I ordered a replacement which arrived today and also refuses to connect. The 9860 still connects.  The latest 9360 attaches fine to another computer (desktop) and I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Blackberry desktop several times restarting both phone (battery pull) and laptop many times.  

Details:-

Windows 7 64 bit

Desktop Top Software 7.1.033

Blackberry Curve 9360 7.1 Bundle 1133 (v7.1.0.336, Platform 9.6.051)

In device manager an "Unknown device" entry appears under "Other devices" on connecting phone via USB

on manually updating the this entry's driver to the "Blackberry Smartphone"  results in a "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" message.

Help:- please!  Is there a (safeish) way of returning the PC to a pre 9360 state (I have gone back to an earlier restore point)?

TIA,

Alastair.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Device driver software was not successfully installed

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I suggest this thread:

It starts with a process for cleanly starting over (you may or may not need the steps related to synchronization, but you likely do need the step that installs, to your PC, the BB OS package that is running on your BB), and there is some discussion, and there is also a post (15) with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for the pointers.  I tried to follow the thread but without joy.  When deleting RIM entries in the registry I didn't have the authorisation to delete a set of entries with a class of "RIMUSBBB".  

I have been installing the latest and greatest versions of the desktop and device manager.  Do you think there might be some mileage in using older versions?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

ahickling wrote:

When deleting RIM entries in the registry I didn't have the authorisation to delete a set of entries with a class of "RIMUSBBB".  

Then you are not an Admin on your computer...it's always best to be Admin (or equivalent) on the computer when doing things such as this (as discussed in that thread).

ahickling wrote:

Do you think there might be some mileage in using older versions?

Maybe...I cannot predict your outcome as there are simply too many variables...everyone's situation is truly unique.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Honest, I do have local admin rights.

Hall of Famer III

Then try the process without deleting those specific Registry Keys.

Highlighted
New Contributor

"Then try the process without deleting those specific Registry Keys."

Thanks for the help but I've already been down that route. Smiley Sad