Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

Device memory full, can't update apps and causing other problems. How can I fix?

Don't have many apps, but my device memory  is full and can't update my apps therefore some have quit working. Can somebody help me fix this. Do I need to uninstall apps first before I update? HELP!

Verizon BB Storm 9530
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Device memory full, can't update apps and causing other problems. How can I fix?

HI there,

honestly, there is little you can do. The Storm 1 series was quite simple hobbled with way too little app memory. This is what I believe you need to do.

1) Carefully choose the apps you absolutely must have and get rid of the rest.

2) Go through your core things and remove things you don't use (languages, added dictionaries, etc.)

3) Reboot your BB once a day.

With that, if you can keep your free AppMemory running around 15-20MB, you should probably be OK.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Device memory full, can't update apps and causing other problems. How can I fix?

Can you tell me the proper way to remove apps,? Isn't there a procedure you have to follow to properly remove them. Also, do I need to uninstall any apps I need to update?

Verizon BB Storm 9530
Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

gr8fandini wrote:

Can you tell me the proper way to remove apps,? Isn't there a procedure you have to follow to properly remove them.

There is indeed a procedure:

• KB10376Remove applications from the BlackBerry smartphone

I normally use Option 2.

gr8fandini wrote:

Also, do I need to uninstall any apps I need to update?

Ummm...what? If an app you need has an update, installing it over the top of the installed app is normally OK. But, some apps, when they release the update, will tell you to remove the prior first. Do whatever the app developer says to do.

All that said, if you want to truly get the maximum AppMemory back, then you could do something even more drastic. Sometimes, removing apps doesn't totally free up 100% of the memory the app took; that's a form of memory leak. What follows is totally optional for you...if you are at all scared of it, then don't do it. Also, everything here is for PC...I'm not at all sure how to do this via MAC. Further, if you are on BES...stop now...you need to coordinate all of this with your BES admins and there are some careful timing things to insert regarding your BES emails.

The way to truly get to the maximum AppMemory you can have is to totally wipe clean your BB and reload only those exact things you require. To do this, you need to first make a list of the exact things that you absolutely must have -- in addition to your add-on's and 3rd party apps, go through the AppLoader screens and choose the core modules you can live without (well, those that you could actually select the checkbox and remove...those that are grey cannot be removed). Make sure you have a complete list of all your apps, including the source location (e.g., AppWorld, developer website, etc.) and any needed activation keys.

Now, make sure you have the most recent Desktop Software installed:

Also make sure you have your proper BB OS (the one installed to your BB, unless you need to upgrade) installed to your PC:

Also make sure that you only have ONE BB OS package installed to your PC.

Now, launch the Desktop Software (be sure to say NO to any offered updates...you do not want to do those at this time) and perform a manual full backup. Store that IPD file safely away. Also, copy (Windows Drag/Drop via Mass Storage Mode) everything from Device Memory as well as Media Card Memory. What I'm going to recommend to you will truly wipe everything clean and you will have to restore everything, so make sure you have everything copied to your PC and safely stored away. Shut down the Desktop Software when you are done.

I'm going to recommend the utility called BBSAK -- there are others, but I've had good luck with it when I've done this process and it's pretty easy to use. Hopefully you will have the same good luck with it:

What you want to do is to wipe your BB AppMemory totally clean (sorry, I can't recall the precise button to push in BBSAK). When that completes, your BB should display a 507 error...then you can use BBSAK to reload the OS to the BB -- as you do so, carefully select and unselect the core modules, unselecting those that you previously decided were not critical to you (so as to save that space in AppMemory).

After that completes, your BB will reboot (perhaps more than once) and will look like it did fresh out of the box...this is normal as well. Untether from your PC and format both Device and Media Card Memory (done via the Options > Memory screen). Now, your total BB truly is just as it was fresh from the factory (unless you've changed the OS level, of course...but that's OK too).

The next thing to do is to ensure that all of your services are functioning. If you are on Verizon, you should dial *228 and select option 1. After that completes, do that again and select option 2. Next, do these steps, in order (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network

2) Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Now, you need to tether to your PC and restore from that saved backup file (you should be able to do a wholesale restore, which will restore everything, including your homescreen, speed dials, contacts, calendar, messages, and many other options). After that, you need to re-install all of your 3rd party and add-on apps (those that you made that excellent list for earlier).

Once that is done, you are in as good a condition as you can be. Do another batt-pull reboot and see what the result for AppMemory is...that will be your benchmark. In normal usage, watch it closely and see how it changes, rebooting when it seems to be draining too low. Reboot every night to keep things as good as they can be. Indeed, all during the above process, if you check AppMemory from time to time as you proceed, you can get an idea of how things are...for instance, if you check it right after the OS reload, that will tell you how much of AppMemory is taken up by the core OS itself, then allowing you to get an idea of how much is consumed by the add on apps and other things.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

PS -- I'm actually about to start this process for myself...something has gone wrong with my BES activation (after some new things were added) and we need to wipe and reload my BB to try and cure it.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................