Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: T mobile - prepaid

Device software update

Hey, 

I'm using a unbranded, factory unlocked BB Bold 9900 with a T-Mobile prepaid sim. 

My current software version is 7.0 Bundle 1672. 

I would like to update my device software to 7.1

I have downloaded the BB Desktop Software (Version 2.3.1 (build 5)). The Desktop Software tells me that there are no updates available. I also tried to get an update over the air but that didn't work either. 

I'm using a Mac laptop with Mac OS X. 

Can someone please help me. It is so frustrating to receive no support form RIM. 

Thanks in advance. 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Device software update

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

With the MAC desktop software, it is my understanding that you are limited to only those OS packages that your carrier has released and supported. What you see in the MAC Desktop software should therefore match what you can see from your carrier via the official download portal:

If you were on PC, you would be able to use the tricks and tools to use an OS package from a different carrier, but to my understanding such is not available for MAC. You might, though, have better luck inquiring of other MAC users in our dedicated MAC forum:

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Priv STV100-4
My Carrier: O2 UK

Hi Gugggi:

I have a similar unbranded, factory unlocked BB Bold 9900, but I have an O2 (UK) sim card.

Firstly, do a full sync AND then a full backup of your device.

I would then update your BB Desktop Software to the latest V 7.0.0.59 Bundle 60 released on May 17.  Do that by clicking top right of your BB Desktop Manager (your version is so old it might be somewhere else!) and click on 'Search for Updates'.

After successfully updating your BB Desktop Manager, then set about updating your device software.  After you have updated the BB Desktop Manager, disconnect your device and shut down the BB Desktop Manager.  Then connect again to your BB Desktop Manager.  You may find that it automatically prompts you to update to the latest device software.  If not, click on 'Device' top left and then 'Update', to see if it offers you the latest V7.1.

If it still doesn't, then follow the following link on your desktop:

http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

and look for your service provider in the area of the world that you live in.  Click on that and follow the instructions.

Note: RIM issues the latest software to each service provider around the world.  Each ISP in turn has to evaluate that new software, train their support staff, and then issue the new software it its customers. If, when you click on the ISP (T-Mobile) of your country, you find that there is an older version the V7.1, then it's because your ISP has not issued the new version yet.

But I think T-Mobile has issued the new version, certainly in the US and Europe as far as I know.

Good luck!

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Priv STV100-4
My Carrier: O2 UK

Hi Gugggi:

Apologies, my earlier reply applies to a PC, I don't know what has to be done on a MAC.  Sorry!