08-06-2011 01:33 AM - edited 08-06-2011 01:57 AM
nevermind the download failed completely
edit: tried installing the previous version and its doing the same thing...
08-28-2011 08:59 PM
10-25-2011 02:32 AM
Okay it is a little complicated but it does solve the problem and you will then be able to update your device and access applications on your device. The problems we've all been having lies with what’s in the file: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader. Please don't ask me why because I do not know, I just know that the version that is staying in this file is causing the 'Handheld application loader wizard error'
I will go through how to avoid this error in simple steps but I must add if the steps are not followed exactly right it will not work and you will continue to get the error.
1. Please access this file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and delete the contents of the folder so that it is empty. If you can't delete all contents make sure all Blackberry software is exited and then try. Other than this delete it straight after you start your computer.
2. Uninstall all Blackberry software using add/remove programs. Leave no software on your computer of Blackberry.
3. This is where it may be different for different people. Please open this page using Internet Explorer (I tried using Firefox first and I could not initialize the link after I downloaded it ):
4. On this page select your country and service provider. In my case this was Orange UK in Europe. Then please select your Smartphone from the drop down link at the bottom and then click next. You will then notice 3 different download links appear underneath that with three different versions. If you don't know what version your device currently is please on your device go to Options>About device versions on the main screen. This will then tell you your bundle number, version number and platform number. You may then think hold on my version number and platform number does not match any of the download links. Don't panic neither did mine. So I selected the nearest matching by closest digits. Alternatively you could try them 1 by 1 but I didn't have to myself.
5. After you download the link please run it and install it. You should then have the right device software in your C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader folder. To then update the device please use this link. Do not install Blackberry Desktop Software to update the device or access the applications.
To Update click:
This should then update your device with out any problems. If it does not work go back to steps 3 and 4 until you have the software for your device, Country and service provider.
To access your applications on your device is a little different. Please connect your device via USB cable. Please open folder: Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and double click 'LOADER' This will then take you through the process of accessing applications on your device. Again if this doesn't work you need to go back to steps 3 and 4 and get the download you need for your service provider and device.
These options are not ideal but they are a solution until Blackberry finds the real cure for the problem which I'm sure they will. If you would like to add to my steps or have a better solution please feel free to mention it and I will also try them myself. This how ever was the only method that I have managed to get to work for me at this time. Please if you need to ask anything because you don't understand the instructions, do so and I will try and explain better. Good luck and please leave your feedback.
11-08-2011 02:01 AM
Go to Add and remove programs, remove it. Then you can download it again here
11-21-2011 08:43 AM
I used your helpful advice and have been able to download V5.0 software to my Blackberry Curve 8520 However, having deleted the desktop manager I am at a loss as to how to sync music, contacts etc. Does anyone have any ideas?
11-22-2011 02:18 AM
I totally understand your position. The only solution I can think of is to reinstall desktop manager to sink your music then once done repeat the steps to unintsall. A real pain but the only solution until Blackberry finds a real solution.