Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Did Desktop Manager delete my data?

Apparently I have lost some important data.  I doubt there's anything I can do to recover it, but maybe this post could forewarn others or alert RIM to a problem to fix in a new version of Desktop Manager.

I just discovered that backups I made a few hours ago from my new BlackBerry, of pictures, voice memos and data, have been deleted from my hard drive.  I'd created a "BlackBerry" directory under My Documents to store them, but they're not there now, nor are they in my Recycle Bin, nor can I find them after using Windows' Search.  Most of them I'd deleted from my Blackberry to make room for taking new pictures, so they're gone.

The order of events are:

0. I reinstalled Windows XP, from a clean reformat.  (I was having trouble installing the Desktop Software before.)

1. I installed the Desktop Software (version 4.3)

2. I moved the pictures from my bberry to My Documents/Blackberry

3. I changed my Application Data Folder to My Documents/Blackberry from under Application Data (the hidden directory)

4. I reinstalled Desktop Software, version 4.5.

(hours passed)

5. I looked in My Documents/Blackberry for some information I had photographed last week.  I found only the Intellisync and Loader History folders.

This all happened today.  What I think happened is that after I changed the path for the Data Folder, when the Desktop Manager moved its own folders to the new location it also cleared the directory.  Alternatively, when I reinstalled the Desktop Software to version 4.5, it might have removed the files.  Or maybe some other operation I took with the Desktop Software deleted them.  But I certainly didn't delete them deliberately; after all, in XP, files removed by the user go immediately into the Recycle Bin, and my data isn't there.

Consider this my bug report.  I'm a new Blackberry user and a new RIM customer, but also a programmer, so I do have some sympathy for the developers fighting the tens of thousands of bugs that occur in complex software.  On the other hand, I hope I can find the paper copy of that bank letter.