Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Did Desktop Manager delete my data?

Apparently I have lost some important data.  I doubt there's anything I can do to recover it, but maybe this post could forewarn others or alert RIM to a problem to fix in a new version of Desktop Manager.

I just discovered that backups I made a few hours ago from my new BlackBerry, of pictures, voice memos and data, have been deleted from my hard drive.  I'd created a "BlackBerry" directory under My Documents to store them, but they're not there now, nor are they in my Recycle Bin, nor can I find them after using Windows' Search.  Most of them I'd deleted from my Blackberry to make room for taking new pictures, so they're gone.

The order of events are:

0. I reinstalled Windows XP, from a clean reformat.  (I was having trouble installing the Desktop Software before.)

1. I installed the Desktop Software (version 4.3)

2. I moved the pictures from my bberry to My Documents/Blackberry

3. I changed my Application Data Folder to My Documents/Blackberry from under Application Data (the hidden directory)

4. I reinstalled Desktop Software, version 4.5.

(hours passed)

5. I looked in My Documents/Blackberry for some information I had photographed last week.  I found only the Intellisync and Loader History folders.

This all happened today.  What I think happened is that after I changed the path for the Data Folder, when the Desktop Manager moved its own folders to the new location it also cleared the directory.  Alternatively, when I reinstalled the Desktop Software to version 4.5, it might have removed the files.  Or maybe some other operation I took with the Desktop Software deleted them.  But I certainly didn't delete them deliberately; after all, in XP, files removed by the user go immediately into the Recycle Bin, and my data isn't there.

Consider this my bug report.  I'm a new Blackberry user and a new RIM customer, but also a programmer, so I do have some sympathy for the developers fighting the tens of thousands of bugs that occur in complex software.  On the other hand, I hope I can find the paper copy of that bank letter.