Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
stp
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Disable autorun of some applications

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I'm new.

I found this thered (http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?message.uid=34408#U34408) but I don't understand wht does the solution mean

Is there a solution to disable the autorun on startup of some applications on my storm?

I prefere a done program - I'm not able to program any application, in any language.

Thanks.

Stp

Message Edited by stp on 07-01-2009 05:40 PM
Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Disable autorun of some applications

Are you writing a program yourself? That post was on the Java Development board and the posters sounded like he was writing a program. Some programs developed for the BlackBerry have an option to not load on startup. Some apps always run in the background on a BlackBerry (Messages, Phone, BlackBerry Messenger, Browser, Home Screen)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
stp
New Contributor

Thanks for the answer!Smiley Happy

Yes, I got that he was writing in java, but I'm not able.

If there is a code to paste and copy in a notepad and to save in .cod - I'm able to do it  Smiley Very Happy

Any way, I have 3rd part apps as the Oxford Concise dictionary, and IM app for skype which I don't want to start any time I reboot the phone.

Elite I

Do those programs have an option to not run during startup? I don'y have those so don't know what options they have. After you reboot your phone do you see them running in the background?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
stp
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've already searched. Thay haven't any option to disable the autorun.

I'm sure they run on sturt up, because pressing th BB menu button I see some of them, others I can see in advanced oprion -> apps. They appare in bold text

Message Edited by stp on 07-02-2009 03:20 PM
Message Edited by stp on 07-02-2009 03:21 PM
Elite I

Here's a post describing why some apps are bold in the application list

http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/application-bold-application-list-27027/

I don't know of any other way to disable the apps if it's not an option in the app.

stp
New Contributor

This link can't help me.

Thanks.

But isn't anyone else in the forum that can help ?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

stp wrote:

This link can't help me.

Thanks.

But isn't anyone else in the forum that can help ?

FWIW -- You have been getting assistance from one of the best on this forum, IMHO. What is missing is a better description from you (including many details that we can't determine) about what exactly is going on.The fact that an app appears in bold in the app list is irrelevant. There is nothing about the device itself that prevents auto-run of any apps -- indeed, I've never seen an app that auto-runs (except for the mandatory minimum apps that must always be running). And, as the very first link you receive states, there indeed is no way to, from an OS level, prevent an app from starting if it is destined to do so. So, it is up to those two apps you quoted to not auto-run...and you need to contact those developers about that as you have discovered no way to disable that.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
stp
New Contributor

Thanks sdgardne too.

It means that I'll take my storm with that apps running at the start up.

It's important to know that there is no solution, so I stop to search.

Some time NO is better than MAYBE 

Thanks again 

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm
My Carrier: Verizon

I have a similar problem. Two apps (Funambol Sync, and TheMissingSync) always start up in background, even after a battery-pull. That's what I consider auto-run.  In Windows, for instance, there are places to look to find out what apps will be automatically run when the OS starts up. What I'm gathering from this thread is that there is no similar place to look in the BB OS. Is that right? Each app controls for itself whether it runs on startup or not?  If so, that's a pain, 'cause neither of these has an option to control that behavior. I would just expect that most OSs would have a central place that, on startup, has a list of apps to be run, in addition to those the OS developers set as "standard". And the user can go and look at that list, and remove unwanted apps from the list.

So,  the punch line here seems to be:

"No, BB does not have that sort of place or option. Each app is completely in control of its own autorun status, so if it has no 'off' option, you're stuck."

Right???